Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yossupp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I was wondering if it is ok to charge my iphone with the ipad usb power adaptor which has higher power.
Or does the default power adaptor for the iphone works for the iPad vice versa?

Does anyone have answer?

I don't want to burn my iphone by any chance.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I was wondering if it is ok to charge my iphone with the ipad usb power adaptor which has higher power.
Or does the default power adaptor for the iphone works for the iPad vice versa?

Does anyone have answer?

I don't want to burn my iphone by any chance.

My 3GS is charging with it just fine

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
If Apple sells the iPad with a charging system (cable/plug/charger) that will fit the iPhone/iPod, but damage it if you use it, then THAT would be a major engineering fail.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
10W Supply should be fine with iPhone 3GS

The differences is the current rating. I have two different supplies for the iPhone. The latest one is the the very small one that does not have the exchangeable AC connector and appears to be quite low power. The first iPhone had a 2.5 W supply that looks identical to the iPad supply but is a 1/4 of the capability. Since the voltage is the same in all cases (5v), they should all work fine, but the iPad will charge faster with its 10W supply and it will probably make no difference to the iPhone. As stated in this thread the fact that all supplies share the same connector means that Apple will not have overlooked the fact that you could plug any other supply into any other device with the same connector and would make sure that no damage would result. Note that earlier iPods, for example, used 12v supplies but the power came in on another pin on the same connector used today. Thus connecting a 12v supply to a current iPad etc. will not cause any damage, they will just not charge or power the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.