Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1
karlsmacpro
macrumors member

Unable to empty trashbin

I've had a good old clean out of duplicated files and folders and now I want to empty my trash - but it refuses to go. There are many files and folders in there (about 50GB worth) and some are "locked". But I've repeatedly tried to empty without success. Any idea why? Thanks.
karlsmacpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Techhie
macrumors 65816

Hold the option key while pressing the "empty" button. That is a force empty.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 03:47 AM   #3
karlsmacpro
macrumors member

Thanks for that - it worked a treat...........However, I subsequently wanted to remove Isync from the desktop. Tried dragging it back to the dock (from where I originally dragged it) but it didn't work so I put it in the trash and then emptied the trash. Unfortunately, I then noticed there were 2000+ things to delete and so suspected something untoward was happening so I cancelled the "empty". Now upon trying to open Isync it tells me it can't be opened cos' it may be damaged and the icon shows a "delete" sign! Any idea on how to "recover" the situation. Stupid me, I should have asked before emptying the trash!!
karlsmacpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 04:14 AM   #4
forcefieldkid
macrumors 6502

I don't get why it went to the desktop after you dragged it out of the dock, did you put application in the dock (along with your other applications) or the folder? Also, why did you put it in the trash and then hit empty?!? Seems like a bit of a rash thing to do! Someone more tech-minded could maybe give you an alternative method, but I'd guess an archive and install and then start again (it will save the things you've installed, and settings and your own data etc) would be the only way to get it back properly.
forcefieldkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Henryfsawatzky
macrumors newbie

I've run into a problem with an item in my trash bin. It acts like it's deleting everything. I hear the crunching noise and receive no error message. But one file remains. Anybody got an idea about how to solve this?
Henryfsawatzky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:26 PM   #6
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryfsawatzky View Post
I've run into a problem with an item in my trash bin. It acts like it's deleting everything. I hear the crunching noise and receive no error message. But one file remains. Anybody got an idea about how to solve this?
Hold the option key while you empty the trash?
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help