Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
KY
both are browsers for Mac OS X and i had problems with the newest version of firefox and im looking at camino. any opinions?

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
I think the main differences are in the available plugins and user interface. FireFox is currently my browser of choice, because of the plugins (such as ad-blocking) that I use.

fuijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
KY
GovornorPhatt said:
I think the main differences are in the available plugins and user interface. FireFox is currently my browser of choice, because of the plugins (such as ad-blocking) that I use.
man i wish i could use it but everytime i try to download it i get nothing but the fox jumping up and down in my browser. i cant do anything with it. if you could give me a link to a version that actually works in OS 10.3.5 i would use it

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
fuijin said:
man i wish i could use it but everytime i try to download it i get nothing but the fox jumping up and down in my browser. i cant do anything with it. if you could give me a link to a version that actually works in OS 10.3.5 i would use it

I just use the version from mozilla.org. It works fine, even after the os upgrade.

fuijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
KY
GovornorPhatt said:
I just use the version from mozilla.org. It works fine, even after the os upgrade.
finally got firefox to work now. got some support info from mozilla.org. one question i have, can you make firefox have the brushed metal look?

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
fuijin said:
finally got firefox to work now. got some support info from mozilla.org. one question i have, can you make firefox have the brushed metal look?

Not that I know of. You can probably do it yourself with the interface editor in the developer tools that may have come with your Mac. There may be some utilites to do this for you, but none that I know of.

fuijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
KY
GovornorPhatt said:
Not that I know of. You can probably do it yourself with the interface editor in the developer tools that may have come with your Mac. There may be some utilites to do this for you, but none that I know of.
cool thnx.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
fuijin said:

It can use different themes, so it can be changed to anything available. Check the Tools menu for options.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
QCassidy352 said:
I can't spell check as I type in camino... that's the one thing I really don't like about it as of now.

That's what annoys me most about Camino. I still use it though. I like the interface a lot more than Firefox, and it is just as fast, if not faster. Camino is far faster than Safari though, and uses less system resources.

For ad blocking, I use a custom style sheet, and it works very well. Not as elegant a solution as pithhelmet, but it still blocks ads.

PrometheusG5

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
San Francisco, CA
One other thing about Camino...

Camino is a Cocoa app, so not only can you use the Services menu from it, when you install it an option will appear in Services as "Open URL in Camino..".

Camino is a nice, fast browser. While aesthetically I don't like the way their tabs look (they appear as "chicklets"), I use it fairly frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.