Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curlsdiva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
My iMac 21.5 is less than two months old. When I tilt the screen even slightly (as you're supposed to be able to do) the machine shuts down. Totally. And I can't get it back for 5 minutes (today I timed it!). This can't be right. I can't find anyone discussing this and as it's the Easter weekend here, telephone support from Apple is not functioning.

I'm going to call Apple on Tuesday after the holiday, but I'm really worried about this. This is my first Mac and it's really precious to me!

Has anyone else had this problem and are there any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Breezy2000uk

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
North Yorkshire
Wow. If that's a power supply fault, my advice would be to back up your files, then switch it off and unplug it, and don't touch it til you've spoken to applecare.

If there's some kind of loose connection in there, you don't want to get zapped!

curlsdiva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
worked this out

Somebody on Apple support forums said to check that the power cord wasn't loose. So I tilted again and watched the power cord. As it tilted, it threw the power cord loose enough for the power to cut out and the machine to shutdown. As long as I held the power cord firmly 'in' with one hand and tilted with the other, no shutdown.

You'd think a power cord should be immune to a few degrees of movement, wouldn't you? Good grief.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Somebody on Apple support forums said to check that the power cord wasn't loose. So I tilted again and watched the power cord. As it tilted, it threw the power cord loose enough for the power to cut out and the machine to shutdown. As long as I held the power cord firmly 'in' with one hand and tilted with the other, no shutdown.

You'd think a power cord should be immune to a few degrees of movement, wouldn't you? Good grief.

If you press it into place firmly enough it does seat well enough not to come loose like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.