Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1
alphaod
macrumors Core

Need help: Setting new default printing preferences

I've looked all over; the only thing support can tell me is "it depends on what brand you buy."

Anyways, I have a color laser printer. Works great, but most of the time I'm just printing materials off the internet and some documents for work. Therefore I do not need it to be printing in full blown color. Especially not for sites where the author decided to use dark purple or blue text (or some other color from which I can't tell from a glance that it's not black).

Right now the only way to do this to manually go into the printing preferences each time to choose B&W only. Likewise, I also have to go and check the Duplex box manually. All this is very tedious when you have do it every time.

Can anyone provide some insight into making this easier? Maybe how to set the default preferences so they can be used each time?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

I don't have any idea if this will be helpful or not, but what the heck it can't hurt....

I've got the iMac listed in my sig that I use with an OLD HP LaserJet 4M so none of this may apply to a new Mac with a newer OS and a newer printer, but I'm hoping it does.

Right now I'm in Firefox 3.6.3 and if I go to File/Print... in the Print dialog box I've got a popdown list for Printer: and selected is LaserJet 4, below that is a popdown list for Presets: and selected is Standard. If I click on Standard the popdown list appears and there is an selection for Save As..., this will allow me to save whatever my specific printer setup is with a given name that I can then choose from any apps print dialog box when I want to use that particular setup. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
alphaod
macrumors Core

Oh that's perfect. Thanks!

I used the same preset in all applications which works great.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:24 PM   #4
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Oh that's perfect. Thanks!

I used the same preset in all applications which works great.
Glad I could help.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals