Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 4, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1
TheTesseract
macrumors newbie

Create network bridge using my mac mini. Not router

I would like to bridge the network between the ethernet and the wireless on my mac mini. This is so I can access my networking using the N wireless through my mac mini instead of my router's G wireless. I would like to get the dhcp address from my router so I am on the same network. This is so I can access my server that is on the wired network using AFP. In other words use my mac mini as a Access Point.

For you networking buffs, I would like to use my mac mini as a bridge on layer 2, NOT as a router on layer 3.

This makes the mac mini act as a router not a bridge. (mac mini runs DHCP gives out 10.* address). This clearly won't work.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...5/en/8156.html

Mac mini runs OSX 1.6
MacBook pro runs OS 1.5
TheTesseract is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 07:41 PM   #2
jw2002
macrumors 6502

Aside from purchasing something like IpNetRouter or writing your own kernel extensions, bridging isn't possible out of the box under either OS X or Server.
jw2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3
TheTesseract
macrumors newbie

Easiest solution without spending money that I have thought of is to set up a windows VM do the bridging for me.

..wrong on so many levels

Not related to the VM idea. Any one know how to turn off the DHCP server on internet connection sharing?
TheTesseract is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking