Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
In case you already weren't aware, the Apple Component Video Cable for iPhone/iPod works with iPad.

Since I don't have the iPad VGA cable yet, I can't really say one is better quality then the other although the VGA probably is.

Also it might be a good idea to keep in mind that not all televisions / viewing devices support VGA.

Confirmed list of what apps work withcomponent cable for video:
  • Video app
  • Keynote app
  • Youtube app
  • Photo Slide Shows

Video out works with websites:

Notable list of apps that component cable DOES NOT WORK with:
  • Current Netflix app
  • Current Slingplayer app
  • Current Weather Channel in app videos
  • BUGGY: iTunes store App: preview of video TV shows, movies, etc. (works rarely, crashes or black screen)
  • Current AP News: in App videos

I hope they update netflix to allow video out.

also I'm not really sure if the iPad VGA cable is such of a different nature that some of these apps will work flawlessly... ie netflix etc.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Also,

iPod app does not display in full screen mode like it would on a mac "Fullscreen mode" / Album artwork mode.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
update:

Video out Works:
StreamToMe app
Yahoo Entertainment App

Video out Doesn't work:
ABC Player app (and btw this app crashes a lot)

waitingallday

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
boss1,

That's great news! I was going to look into it, but thanks for the confirmation. I have two questions:
  1. Does the wall plug give enough power to charge the iPad?
  2. Generally, what is the overall length of the cable from a) wall to split, b) split to Dock Connector, and c) split to composites/audio. I'm not looking for exact, but just guesses in feet.

Nancy

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
This is good news. This means a cheaper knockoff cable (vga) will come soon.

I like apple, but $30 adapters is annoying.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
boss1,

That's great news! I was going to look into it, but thanks for the confirmation. I have two questions:
  1. Does the wall plug give enough power to charge the iPad?
  2. Generally, what is the overall length of the cable from a) wall to split, b) split to Dock Connector, and c) split to composites/audio. I'm not looking for exact, but just guesses in feet.

Nancy

1. Yes The wall plug does charge the iPad
2. Overall length of the cable is about 6 feet ( 3 feet from the electrical plug to the split) ( 3 feet of wire from split to the iPad & 3 feet of RCA type wire from the split to the TV)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.