Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:30 AM   #1
gwynne
macrumors 65816

My iPad's clock is wrong. Very wrong.

I noticed this last night before I went to bed, but forgot. It was about 45 minutes off last night. This morning, it is 8:30am as I type, but the iPad says it's 1:05am.

This doesn't seem like it bodes well. Anyone?

Going to try a sync.
gwynne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:34 AM   #2
gwynne
macrumors 65816

Sync fixed it, but that was a lot of time to lose considering I certainly would have been sync'ing a lot yesterday afternoon. Something to keep an eye on.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:36 AM   #3
gwynne
macrumors 65816

Final note: the total amount of 'lost' time seems to correspond to the time my iPad was turned off (i.e., in sleep, not actually shut down) but not plugged in. Surely that can't be working as intended, heh.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:44 AM   #4
ijen0311
macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it figured out... but keep us updated. Hopefully it was just a fluke!
ijen0311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:11 AM   #5
poe8
macrumors member

I had the same issue, it was off by 5 hours - I then re-synched it and it went back to the actual time, but reverted a bit later. Then checked my Mac and it's time was now off by 5 hours to match the iPad. Not sure which was causing which, but I'm watching it now. Maybe a bug on either end....
poe8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:14 AM   #6
gwynne
macrumors 65816

I'm have an appt. at Apple today for my MacBook, going to ask the guy/gal if they've heard about this yet. I'm not quite ready to ask for an exchange yet but I want to let them know it's happening. Will post again if I hear anything useful.

Debating whether to take my iPad with me, but I'm leaving in half an hour and the time looks fine (despite leaving the iPad in sleep mode for 30 minutes), so bringing it won't accomplish much.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:36 AM   #7
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

Conspiracy alert: Intentional "feature" to warp time on the iPad. Helps make users think their battery life is amazing.

Just a theory.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:53 AM   #8
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

Trance ??

Users could get "target fixation syndrome" and "subliminal flicker hypnosis" and be in a trance like state for up to 5 hours, thus losing time.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:51 AM   #9
gan6660
Banned

I had the same issue, but I just went into settings and fixed the time. Will keep you posted on if it happens again.
gan6660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Rolvag
macrumors regular

My IPad constantly is loosing time. I went to bed last night at 12am. this morning (7:30am) my IPad showed 12:05am. This went on for about a 1/2hr then it suddenly set to correct time.

Definitely an issue IMHO
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:06 AM   #11
Banned

Mine has been correct from the first day.
0101001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:45 AM   #12
LKeighty4
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to LKeighty4
I'm also having this problem. It seems to not keep the time when it's in sleep mode.... When I first used my iPad this morning it basically stated the last time I had used it, not the current time. I went away, came back, and the time had "fixed" itself. Solutions?
LKeighty4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Vanderpoe
macrumors newbie

Exclamation iPad losing time

My clock is also freezing when I put it in sleep mode. Just started after my last sync. I can try a resync, but it sounds like a patch is in order, and fast! Very frustrating!
Vanderpoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 06:22 AM   #14
tooheycohen
macrumors newbie

Time freezes

I'm having the same time problems. When I turn on the iPad in the morning, it shows the time I turned it off the previous night. After 15 or so minutes, it shows the right time. I'm not sure how to report this bug to Apple. Thanks.
tooheycohen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:54 AM   #15
seanatki
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to seanatki
Just want to add that my iPad is experiencing the same issue. I "fixed" the clock last night (manually set the correct time) and this morning it was off by about an hour. Sucks that this is happening, but glad I'm not alone.
seanatki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:57 AM   #16
gwynne
macrumors 65816

OP here. I haven't had this recur, but I've also fallen into the habit of plugging in the iPad before I go to bed. Are you all experiencing this with the iPad plugged or unplugged?

I mentioned this to an Apple store person on Monday, was unsurprised to hear she hadn't heard of it at that time, she said what they usually say "it'll probable be a software problem"...and then I forgot about it because it never happened again, until this thread start getting bumped.

Maybe I'll try to leave it unplugged tonight and see if I can re-create the problem consistently.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:31 AM   #17
mpuck972
Banned

I'm going to guess that in order to achieve the long stand by time on battery, they shut off the wifi chip, or out it in to some ultra low power mode that stops syncing time.

I'm wondering if the iPad uses a feature similar to the desktops where it can automatically sync time from a wifi broadcast. Sort of like when you travel to a different time zone, the Mac will fix the time based on available wifi signals.
mpuck972 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:51 AM   #18
gwynne
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuck972 View Post
I'm going to guess that in order to achieve the long stand by time on battery, they shut off the wifi chip, or out it in to some ultra low power mode that stops syncing time
But waking up to a clock that is 7 hours off and won't be fixed until you *physically* sync (in my experience) doesn't sound like something that is working as intended. Does it?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:31 AM   #19
seanatki
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to seanatki
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
OP here. I haven't had this recur, but I've also fallen into the habit of plugging in the iPad before I go to bed. Are you all experiencing this with the iPad plugged or unplugged?
Last night was the first time I didn't plug it in to charge overnight, and that is when I first noticed the problem. So it may have something to do with being plugged-in/not plugged-in. There is a thread in the apple.com forum about this as well.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...92277&tstart=0
seanatki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:05 AM   #20
Vanderpoe
macrumors newbie

Smile So far so good

I synced again on the 7th, and so far my clock has been back to normal. It was definitely tied to the sleep mode. I tend to keep my battery charged more now, perhaps it happens in a lower battery range? Who knows!
Vanderpoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:30 AM   #21
bobraynard
macrumors member

Mine was losing time as well...until I posted about it here.
Now it's fine...hmmmmm
bobraynard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:36 AM   #22
Sleazy E
macrumors 65816

i actually never look at the time on my ipad... i will have to keep my eye on it now.
Sleazy E is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:26 PM   #23
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Mine has not lost any time since day 1. Are you guys leaving wifi on or off? I leave wifi on, so it might be re-synching quickly from the Apple time servers etc when you bring it out of sleep.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:28 PM   #24
gwynne
macrumors 65816

When I had the 7hr loss, wifi was definitely on. I was able to web surf and whatnot the next morning, but the time would not fix till I sync'd with my macbook.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:33 PM   #25
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure it syncs with apples time servers if you leave wifi on...kind of like how cell phones do the same thing. I always have wifi on so if there is a problem with the hardware clock I wouldn't know about it...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad