Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wraz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Im just wondering, im consider buying it, but i dont want to make the mistake i did with my macbook, i should have waited 2 weeks :(

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I can tell you that it's not coming in two weeks. Maybe June in WWDC but it's just my guess, nobody knows for sure.

It won't be more than a spec bump so just buy now.

easepease

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Colorado
If you can't wait till september then just buy now! It may come out in June but really it could take as long as september to get a refresh. The upgrades will most likely only be small performance boosts Graphics, processor, hard drive... but nothing major as the last update was quite substantial. So if you are able to wait till september then mabe you will get a nice suprise and it will come in JUNE!

Also if you are a college student they will most likely have the back to school special where you can get a free ipod touch! This usually starts in may.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Apple has to upgrade its MacBook Pro line before upgrading its iMacs. It probably won't come before June, and perhaps September or even October. You never know.

If you're buying the expensive i5/i7 27" iMac, then you may buy them now. They'll probably get a faster GPU, but the CPUs are likely to remain the same. The cheaper Core 2 Duo models will probably have its CPUs replaced by a faster Core i5.

HabanaBanana

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
I'm considering the i5 imac for video editing (avchd lite) reasons, but don't need a 27" monstrosity. So I'm looking at the c2d 21" options instead. But the fact that the mac books are getting upgraded first makes me hesitate. If the macbook pro line gets upgraded to i3, i5, i7 soon, wouldn't any one of them be a more powerful processing solution than most of the present imac options until "june"? That doesn't make sense to me, that the macbook would be a better option for either price or performance than an imac. Am I missing something?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I'm considering the i5 imac for video editing (avchd lite) reasons, but don't need a 27" monstrosity. So I'm looking at the c2d 21" options instead. But the fact that the mac books are getting upgraded first makes me hesitate. If the macbook pro line gets upgraded to i3, i5, i7 soon, wouldn't any one of them be a more powerful processing solution than most of the present imac options until "june"? That doesn't make sense to me, that the macbook would be a better option for either price or performance than an imac. Am I missing something?

The mobile versions of the i5 and i7 Core line differ from the desktop versions used in the iMacs.
They have only two cores for example.

Look at that Arrandale thread, that keeps getting continued every minute or so. Forum Spy should help you spot it.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
There are also mobile versions of i3, i5 and i7 that use 4 cores. They're called clarksfield. Intel uses 3,5 and 7 to differentiate the amount of features each processor have-- not necessarily because they're stronger.

Mobile version of nehalem dual cores are arrandale. Desktop version of nehalem dual cores are clarkdales.

If the macbookpros get any type of new processor, I'm betting it's the arrandales, because their current form factor won't allow the heat produced by clarkdale. Arrandales being faster than desktop grade core2duos in current 21.5 inch iMacs? I highly doubt it. Maybe for video editing though, but only very slightly.

HabanaBanana

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
There are also mobile versions of i3, i5 and i7 that use 4 cores. They're called clarksfield. Intel uses 3,5 and 7 to differentiate the amount of features each processor have-- not necessarily because they're stronger.

Mobile version of nehalem dual cores are arrandale. Desktop version of nehalem dual cores are clarkdales.

If the macbookpros get any type of new processor, I'm betting it's the arrandales, because their current form factor won't allow the heat produced by clarkdale. Arrandales being faster than desktop grade core2duos in current 21.5 inch iMacs? I highly doubt it. Maybe for video editing though, but only very slightly.

OK, thanks that helps, let me get this straight then:

-next MBP's will most likely not be quad core (Arrandale and not Clarksfield)
-current i5,i7 imac 27" options are in fact quad core (not Clarksdale)
What's the code name for the Desktop quad core Nehalem then? (I'll keep reading the threads to catch up - sorry if I'm asking questions answered elsewhere)

So by all accounts, I would not necessarily by wiser to wait for the MBP than to go with the current 21" iMac if what I want to do is edit AVCHD lite efficiently?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
The desktop nehalem quad cores in the high-end 27 inch iMacs are lynnfield. They are newer generation compared to the original i7 desktop quad cores (bloomfield) they have higher core speed and better turbo boost, but less memory bandwidth.

It might be possible for apple to use clarksfield (mobile quad core nehalem) in their macbookpros, but the clarksfields are very expensive while having lower clockspeed than the arrandales. The "extreme" edition clarksfield is the only one to even reach 2ghz clockspeed, but it costs a whopping 1000 usd!

I can't make the call about waiting for new macbook pros or not. There probably is some site somewhere on the internet that gives video editing/encoding benchmarks between arrandales, clarksfields and high-end wolfdales (the core2duos currently in iMacs)

I'll try to find one.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The desktop nehalem quad cores in the high-end 27 inch iMacs are lynnfield. They are newer generation compared to the original i7 desktop quad cores (bloomfield) they have higher core speed and better turbo boost, but less memory bandwidth.

It might be possible for apple to use clarksfield (mobile quad core nehalem) in their macbookpros, but the clarksfields are very expensive while having lower clockspeed than the arrandales. The "extreme" edition clarksfield is the only one to even reach 2ghz clockspeed, but it costs a whopping 1000 usd!

I can't make the call about waiting for new macbook pros or not. There probably is some site somewhere on the internet that gives video editing/encoding benchmarks between arrandales, clarksfields and high-end wolfdales (the core2duos currently in iMacs)

I'll try to find one.

But the Core i7 Extreme 920XM (high-end Clarksfield) goes up to 3.2GHz with Turbo. Arrandale is better bang for buck but if using apps that can actually take advantage of quad, Clarksfield wins 100-0. The cheapest Clarksfield (i7 720QM) is only 364$ and goes up to 2.8GHz with Turbo (1.6GHz without Turbo) so I would really like to see it in 17" MBP at least

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So, what the chance of the next 21.5" models being quadcore?

<5%

It took long time before we got quad in high-end so it takes at least a year before we see it in low-mid level. Quads are way too hot for 21.5" now.

IF Lynnfield goes 32nm this year, it can technically be possible but otherwise we have to wait till 2011 at the earliest.

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
Damn.. Oh well, i'll still wait 'till the next revision because of the gpu (should be radeon 5***)

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
At least a bit better

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/ati-radeon-hd-5670-vs-4670-benchmark-68209/

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/ati/msi_radeon_hd_5670_page2.htm

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/ati/msi_radeon_hd_5670_page3.htm

I think it's pretty obvious the next 21.5" iMac will have at least the 5670 so that and only that is already enough for me to buy that one instead of the current one. Combine that with maybe quad or probably core 2 duo/quad, 1.5TB HD and 4GB ram, and you have a beast for a decent price! Now i just have to wait 'till june/september :(

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
At least a bit better

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/ati-radeon-hd-5670-vs-4670-benchmark-68209/

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/ati/msi_radeon_hd_5670_page2.htm

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/ati/msi_radeon_hd_5670_page3.htm

I think it's pretty obvious the next 21.5" iMac will have at least the 5670 so that and only that is already enough for me to buy that one instead of the current one. Combine that with maybe quad or probably core 2 duo/quad, 1.5TB HD and 4GB ram, and you have a beast for a decent price! Now i just have to wait 'till june/september :(

That's desktop 5670 and 4670..It's not the same thing, so you can't compare them.

Looking at NoteBookCheck and even 5650 is better than 4670 so 5750 or 5770 would be even greater update. There is no mobile version of 5670 AFAIK.

I think we'll see Clarkdale (successor of Core 2 Duo, but still dual-core) in 21.5" and low-end 27". It beats current C2Ds easily so it'll be an update plus it's not too hot for 21.5". Uses same socket as the quads in 27" now so all models would use the same technology

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Unless it's a mobility 4870 or mobility 5870, it's not gonna be much better than current gpus offered in the iMacs-- not better than the mobility 4850 at least, but better than mobility 4670. Mobility 4870 is HUUGE jump in performance simple because it uses GDDR5 memory, which is on a whole nother level when compared to GDDR2/3 or 4.

5k series doesn't necessarily mean it's better, just newer technology. Ati usually puts the higher performing gpus of a series with a higher number (*870 for example)

But the Core i7 Extreme 920XM (high-end Clarksfield) goes up to 3.2GHz with Turbo. Arrandale is better bang for buck but if using apps that can actually take advantage of quad, Clarksfield wins 100-0. The cheapest Clarksfield (i7 720QM) is only 364$ and goes up to 2.8GHz with Turbo (1.6GHz without Turbo) so I would really like to see it in 17" MBP at least
Yeah but it's 1000 usd! Imagine a laptop with Apple price markup that has a 1000 usd processor.

Arrandale 540m would be a likely candidate for high-end macbook pros, and the turbo boost on those would reach 3.33ghz when one core is active (compared to 3.33 ghz dual core on current baseline iMacs) The only question remaining would the newer architecture and hyperthreading make up for lower clockspseed when it comes to video encoding? Definitely shows a difference over the current mobility core2duos in macbookpros (article on macrumors) the performance gain was around 25%-- but how does that compare with high-end wolfdales?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Unless it's a mobility 4870 or mobility 5870, it's not gonna be much better than current gpus offered in the iMacs-- not better than the mobility 4850 at least, but better than mobility 4670. Mobility 4870 is HUUGE jump in performance simple because it uses GDDR5 memory, which is on a whole nother level when compared to GDDR2/3 or 4.

5k series doesn't necessarily mean it's better, just newer technology. Ati usually puts the higher performing gpus of a series with a higher number (*870 for example)

The problem is that Mobility 58xx series is based on desktop 57xx (Juniper) while mobile 48xx is based on desktop 48xx. Desktop 57xx is about as fast as desktop 48xx so that's why there is no much difference between mobile 48xx and mobile 58xx.

Only 5870 (or 4870) would be a jump in performance if Apple uses ATI GPUs.

Good thing about mobile 5850 compared to 4850 is that 4850 has TDP of ~60W while 5850 has only 39W so 5850 would be possible in 21.5" as well because 4670 is 35W.

Yeah but it's 1000 usd! Imagine a laptop with Apple price markup that has a 1000 usd processor.

Well, 17" MBP isn't cheap but I'd like to see that as a BTO at least though it would likely cost near 5000$...

Arrandale 540m would be a likely candidate for high-end macbook pros, and the turbo boost on those would reach 3.33ghz when one core is active (compared to 3.33 ghz dual core on current baseline iMacs) The only question remaining would the newer architecture and hyperthreading make up for lower clockspseed when it comes to video encoding? Definitely shows a difference over the current mobility core2duos in macbookpros (article on macrumors) the performance gain was around 25%-- but how does that compare with high-end wolfdales?

I think you meant the Core i7 620M, as it's the best one and suitable for MBPs (TDP of 35W). It's 2.66GHz (3.46GHz with Turbo) so it would be a nice jump in performance but only costs 332$.

32nm vs 45nm (manufacturing process)
Nehalem vs Core (micro-architecture)
Hyper-threading vs no HT

Arrandale is definitely faster than any C2D. Video encoding etc depends on app but generally Arrandale will be the winner anyway.

I'm guessing Core i3 for 13" (maybe i5 in high-end), Core i5 for 15" (probably i7 in high-end though) and finally i7 for 17" (Arrandale in low-end, Clarksfield in high-end/BTO)

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
?

Help me, how much does a mobility radeon hd 5850 cost? you know apple uses only sub or 150 $ gpu..

persolo

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2005
Don't fortet OpenCL. Rumors has it that you need Randeon 5xxx to get full support. I am now waiting for upgraded graphics in either the Mac Pro or iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.