Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

So am i Correct To Guess No One Is Getting a Screen Protector For Their iPad?

I can't find it anywhere in store and have only seen 2 places online that are selling screen protectors; one of them being InvisibleShield of course.

However after reading here on the forums that the iPad screen withheld a strong nail scratch is it safe to assume as an iPad owner you're not getting a screen protector for it?

Then again perhaps you're getting a case for it that will completely cover it except when in use.

I plan on just getting an InCase Grip cover for it...
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:37 PM   #2
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

I don't think I will get one - just going to use the Neoprene Plus case I bought and enojy it naked. Doesn't make much sense to put a screen protector on it as I am not going to put it in my pocket with keys/change, etc...

The majority of my scratches on my previous iphones were from my pockets.
brn2ski00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:38 PM   #3
azboricua
macrumors 6502a

I just finished installing my invisible shield from Best Buy 2 minutes ago.
azboricua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:39 PM   #4
FWW
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to FWW Send a message via Yahoo to FWW
I have never been impressed by any screen protectors. All of the ones I have tested ultimately end up peeling back, getting crud built up along the edges etc.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:42 PM   #5
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by azboricua View Post
I just finished installing my invisible shield from Best Buy 2 minutes ago.
Whoa?! Best Buy has it for the iPad?! I just called the Apple store and they dont even have it. Plus I get a discount at Best Buy! I'm excited now.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:47 PM   #6
JonnyIreland
macrumors 6502a

Well, once i get an iPad then I will definitely get a screen protector of some type..... I like keeping my products as fresh as possible, if only because in the world of buying Apple products, I have been able to resell my unwanted Original iPhone and iPhone 3G for good money which has enabled me to upgrade to the 3GS I have now. I will probably follow a similar pattern with my iPad(s).

Also, when I got the 3GS I installed an Invisible Shield screen protector and literally within 3 days it saved my screen from taking a gouge -it showed me the importance of protection.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:50 PM   #7
flynz4
macrumors 68030

No interest at all... for my iPhone or my iPad.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Miker2k
macrumors regular

Both my iPads got Zagg shields before they even left Best Buy.
Miker2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyIreland View Post

Also, when I got the 3GS I installed an Invisible Shield screen protector and literally within 3 days it saved my screen from taking a gouge -it showed me the importance of protection.
How could a cheap piece of over priced plastic possibly keep something from gouging a piece of glass?

I stopped using screen protectors long ago. They don't make sense. I can understand the reverse (plastic screen with a glass screen protector).
Chris Blount is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:54 PM   #10
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Waiting for the bestskinsever protector. It's a shame so many people are paying zagg for the same product at 6x the price. I actually found my bse skins install more easily and yellow less than the zaggs I bought prior to seeing what a ripoff zagg is compared to bse.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:00 PM   #11
gillybean
macrumors 6502a

Don't have one, but I'm thinking of getting it. I want to let my daughter play with it and she's less than a year old so she likes to scratch everything she sees.
gillybean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Warbrain
macrumors 603

I used to use them on my iPhone but I gave up and never had a scratch. Same thing will go with my iPad.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:03 PM   #13
jmgag03
macrumors member

I'm very interested in a screen protector to help with glare as long as it doesn't destroy the beauty of the screen.
jmgag03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:05 PM   #14
dukebound85
macrumors P6

why would one?

it's not like the iphone where it is in your pocket with potentially other things...
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:06 PM   #15
bossxii
macrumors 68000

Tried several on the iPhone, hate the way they feel, will never put one on the iPad. Love the screen and how it feels and reacts, would be a shame to trash it with a pc of cheap plastic imo.
bossxii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:06 PM   #16
JonnyIreland
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
How could a cheap piece of over priced plastic possibly keep something from gouging a piece of glass?

I stopped using screen protectors long ago. They don't make sense. I can understand the reverse (plastic screen with a glass screen protector).
Don't know if you've ever actually used Invisible Shield, but it is quite thick (and yes, a little ugly on the screen) and is almost 'rubberised', furthermore it stretches rather than let something break through it.

Each to their own and you are entitled to your opinion, I am just glad I had a protector on that particular day because my screen would have been marked otherwise.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Tallgrass
macrumors member

I ordered one from Wrapsol.
Tallgrass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:11 PM   #18
None Such
macrumors 6502

One of my friends that went with me and got his ipad, put a piece of saran wrap over it making fun of our other friend and his screen protector on his iphone.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...iel/status.png
None Such is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:11 PM   #19
firteen888
macrumors regular

I'm gonna wait for the screen protector from power Support. I have one for the iphone and it's amazing. It feels great and its basically fingerprint proof. The ipad is a fingerprint magnet!!
firteen888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:16 PM   #20
eneisch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
Waiting for the bestskinsever protector. It's a shame so many people are paying zagg for the same product at 6x the price. I actually found my bse skins install more easily and yellow less than the zaggs I bought prior to seeing what a ripoff zagg is compared to bse.
Totally agree with your observation regarding BSE vs. Zagg, although for the iPad the BSE is approx half the price of Zagg ($16 vs $40 for full body protection). BSE has the iPad full body protector on their website for sale now. Going to pick up two and a couple of more skins for my iPhone 3G!!!
160GB iPod Classic
eneisch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:19 PM   #21
calderone
macrumors 68040

No, waste of money.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:22 PM   #22
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneisch View Post
Totally agree with your observation regarding BSE vs. Zagg, although for the iPad the BSE is approx half the price of Zagg ($16 vs $40 for full body protection). BSE has the iPad full body protector on their website for sale now. Going to pick up two and a couple of more skins for my iPhone 3G!!!
Thx for the heads up will go order! It also fingerprints less than the oleo phobic surprisingly.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:28 PM   #23
iSee
macrumors 68030

My "best skins ever" skin is on its way.

I tried using my iPhone 3GS with no skin for a while and have a nice little scratch on the screen as a result. The glass may be as tough as nails, but apparently I've got even tougher things than that in my pocket. I realize the iPad may not even need it, but I figure what the heck. Also, the skins make it grippier, which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWW View Post
I have never been impressed by any screen protectors. All of the ones I have tested ultimately end up peeling back, getting crud built up along the edges etc.
Yeah, I've tried invisibleshield and "best skins ever" (for iPhone) and this happens with both after anywhere from 3-9 months. I replace the skin as needed. "Best skins ever" are cheap enought that this isn't a major problem for me. It's more the time it takes to put one on properly. I enjoy the zen of it, but it's hard for me to get time to do it (er, I realize I may be the slowest person in the world at this, but it takes me like 2 hrs to get a full body one on my iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Whoa?! Best Buy has it for the iPad?! I just called the Apple store and they dont even have it. Plus I get a discount at Best Buy! I'm excited now.
I read some rumor/article that the Apple stores had stopped carrying this kind of screen protector for some reason. Don't qoute me on that through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

I'm going to remember this the next time I'm about to start sharing my opinions on matters I know nothing about.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:30 PM   #24
traveller09
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firteen888 View Post
I'm gonna wait for the screen protector from power Support. I have one for the iphone and it's amazing. It feels great and its basically fingerprint proof. The ipad is a fingerprint magnet!!
I totally agree, I have the same for my iPhone (Power Support Anti-Glare Film) and it is the best one I have tried. I dont worry so much about scratching it, it is the finger prints that drives me nuts. I am waiting for my 3g iPad to ship and hopefully Power Support will have an iPad version by then.
traveller09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:34 PM   #25
JonnyIreland
macrumors 6502a

I don't think it was ever actually revealed why Apple Stores stopped carrying skins & similar protectors -I believe though that it is due to the way that some of them need to be 'wet' applied.
Water + ventilation gaps/ports in MacBook + water damage indicators in iPhone = lots of customers saying "but you sold me this product, what do you mean my warranty is invalid?"
That's my theory.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories