Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I'm so torn, I bought the official Apple case, the only part I like is the stand feature. I'm not thrilled with the way it feels and how sharp the edges are. I saw that the Incase Convertible Case has 3 different positions you can put it in too. I can't decide if I should take the Apple case back and exchange it for the Incase or not. How many of you go the Incase Convertible case? Thanks.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Just in...

It's the only way to pad. No contest in materials, support, variable positions. Just back from the apple store and may learn to type on this after all. Even if takes some time now, it's worth the effort.

Read the reviews at the apple store online. You'll get your answer.

Via the Ipad. :cool:

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
The Incase looks better and seems to be of higher quality (not sure but just looking at the pics). It also seems to add a bit more cushion or padding. Personally if your not happy with the Apple just return it for the Incase. They have a good rep for making decent products.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
The incase is way too fat and bulky, ruins the whole sleek appeal of the iPad plus its ugly IMO. Apple case all the way for me.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
I love the Apple case. The edges soften with use, and help to keep other things I'm carrying around with me from getting too close to the buttons and the place where you plug in the charging cable. I looked at a lot of cases at the Apple store, but I liked this one best and I'm still real happy with it.

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
I have the Apple case, but really do not like it. The sharp edges are awful. Perhaps I will not use a case after all. The iPad just feels so good to hold without having anything on it. My Apple case is definitely being returned.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I got the Apple case and I like it. Typing on it at that angle is so comfortable.

I found the Incase convertible to be way too bulky.

I'll probably pick up a cheap neoprene case too.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Some additional details...

In the Apple Store, they had the Incase directly to the right of the Apple case. A salesperson helping someone was pushing the Apple case. I read about the Incase at Apple's online store. There are now about 10 comments on it.

There's a couple more nice features with the case. First the grip is very nice and it gives you some peace of mind. I was not comfortable handling the device without something with a better grip. Also there is a nice little two inch band on the back of the case you can slide your hand right into and keep the unit comfortably under control with one hand. The material itself is nice and softer to the touch than Apple's. It does have a thicker feel but it adds a sense of security. Not much is going to help this unit if you drop it though.

The Apple case is $20 cheaper. For many folks that's good enough but folks that have compared the two are going with the Incase.

It's extremely well thought out. I've now used it at two different locations and it was great to have the option of three different angles for viewing and typing. Would imagine it's going to also work quite well on a couch, in a bed and practically anywhere else. Another spot I will be using it is on the reader on top of my indoor bike. It sits up there perfectly in landscape and can also sit in portrait. Bet with the Incase, it will sit more balanced with less chance of a mishap. Bottom line, I had the naked iPad out in a park sitting on a bench. Nothing made me feel comfortable handling it. Now it's really easy to handle and set up to your choice. And that allows you to use it as intended.

The Apple Case may be a good, cheaper choice for folks who are less interested in the material, want a bit more thin outer shell but it lacks the features of the Incase albeit at a lower price.

I will be turning away the Fedex delivery tomorrow of the Apple Case. There's no reason to even accept it and inspect it vs. the Incase.

What the incase feels like is one of this pocket calendars people use to carry around with a snap shut button. It's about the same size and obviously heavier than a couple of inches of paper.

Would highly recommend folks check this out. No I'm not affiliated with Incase but have to say, right now there's no better choice if viewing/typing positions are an important consideration.

If not, then you have a ton of other options. I'm very happy though with the Incase, even at the $60 price tag. Would like to have seen it at $45 or $55 though. :rolleyes:

Hey you can't have everything but I find the options on positioning on this so good you will be able to use it more adeptly at just about everything. The glass on the iPad is so reflective you will want the multiple angles just to minimize that alone.

Enjoy.

netronin

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
I'm loving the apple case. It has a great 'grippy' feeling to it which makes dropping the iPad less likely (important if you have kids) and still maintains the sleek profile of the device.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I also bought the Incase Neoprene Sleeve Plus. I really like it, the inside is super soft. But with that being said I wanted a case that could be doubled as a stand. I'm not really worried about the bulkiness of the Incase Convertible case. I'll be using my iPad out of a case mostly but I want a case I can use when I want to type stuff or watch a movie. I think I'm gonna go the Apple store and check it out for myself.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
I love the Apple case. The edges soften with use, and help to keep other things I'm carrying around with me from getting too close to the buttons and the place where you plug in the charging cable. I looked at a lot of cases at the Apple store, but I liked this one best and I'm still real happy with it.

How can the edges soften with use? You've only had it for two days? I've had mine since launch too. Apple's case is awful. The iPad is great, but their case is abysmal!

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Go for the quirky.com cloak!

If you sign up (needed to place an order), in a day or two you get the option to take a survey. Taking the survey puts a $20 credit on your account = affordable cloak.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I've noticed the Apple case picks up dust and marks easily. The edges are softening up a bit. I'm still on the fence. It might be heading back to the store tomorrow.

The incase is to bulky for me. The Apple case looks to cheap. Although I like the thin profile and having the grip. I'm just being a pain in the a**!

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I have the Apple case being delivered today and I'm not sure if I want to keep it after seeing Incase's version. The added bulk isn't great, however Incase does make good solid products. Hmm.... what to do.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Funny how people have such differing opinions. The Apple case really seems like one of those love it or hate it things. Personally, I love it, I think it's very well designed and feels great. As beautiful as the iPad is with it's aluminum back, I actually feel like it was made to live inside the Apple case. The last 2 days I was having a real problem trying to find ways to comfortably hold and carry my iPad, but this case make them both easy. I don't get the sharp edges argument. They are sharp-ish, but still feel entirely comfortable to me, not like they are cutting into my arms or anything.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
I just watched a video of the Incase convertible. a couple things that I don't like:

1) it is thick and looks bulky
2) folding the cover into angle positions does not lock in. In other words, when you hold the ipad, the angle position is disengaged and you have to adjust the position again. Apple case is locked in the angle position until you remove it.
3) cost more, $20 more

what I like:
1) you can tie the cover with the attached wrapping band.
2) leather looks better, though I did not see it in person.
3) video-watching position seems to stand more stable than apple case.

there are two diferences between these two cases:
1) one thing that people complain about the apple case's sharp edge. I think the edge provides good protection when falling and landing on the ipad corner. where as the incase convertable exposes the corner.

2) when setting on an angle position, the home button is on the right side using Incase and on left side using Apple case. I read someone complained that some games require home button on the right.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I've been torn on the case issue. Around the house I like it naked, it just seems nice to use that way. When taking it out and about a case is needed for various reasons.

I'm starting w/the Apple case and so far I like it. It works well and protects the iPad well and offers a few viewing options.

Even tho I like the Apple case I'm still going to be on the hunt for something a little better.

I'm sure soon we will see many more options. For now I do like the Apple case. The inocase is nice I just did not want to spend that much knowing I will be looking for new cases soon as more become available.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Go for the quirky.com cloak!

If you sign up (needed to place an order), in a day or two you get the option to take a survey. Taking the survey puts a $20 credit on your account = affordable cloak.

That case looks awesome and that's a great tip for $20 off! Thank you! I just hope they ship soon. Looks like right now they estimate May 1st as the date. Seems like forever...

I ordered the incase plus slip sleeve in silver to hold me over, it looks like a good case to use if you're gonna slip your ipad into another bag...

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Looks like right now they estimate May 1st as the date. Seems like forever...

Yeah, their marketers should have said April 30 - it feels so much more do-able. It looks like a lot of the cooler cases have a lead time on them - it's get one to hold you over and then go for the one you want. :cool:

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
I've looked around at a lot of cases. I ordered the Apple Case early on, because I liked the functionality. But, I've now also ordered the Marware EcoVue. It seems to have all the advantages of InCase, plus a hand strap you can slide your hand into when it is open so you can sort of ware the case as a glove. This seems like it will be a comfortable when you need to hold it in one hand for extended periods. I will give my impressions when it arrives.

http://www.marware.com/products/iPad

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
A lot of these manufacturers have just gotten their hands on the device and probably scrambling to get them ready.

But i'm guessing it will take a few days.

I can wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.