Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Hello,

Sorry for the vague topic...i didnt know how else to sum it up.

When I purchased the iPad at the store, I chose to activate it there with my iTunes account. However, later that day, i synced the iPad to my moms 27" iMac which obviously changed the iTunes account on the iPad to hers, which is what I expected. We are sharing the device, but it is primarily hers.

Anyway, before i synced the iPad to the iMac, i had downloaded several free apps, and a few paid apps. After syncing to the iMac, i noticed that the apps which i bought using my iTunes account remained on the iPad, even though it is now logged in using HER account.

In summary, there are now apps sitting on the iPad from my iTunes account, and hers. Just a few minutes ago, i noticed the app store had an update, so i went in, and the app "flight control" which I purchased using my iTunes account, has an available update. I figured i was logged in under my iTunes account, but after the update installed, i went into the settings and the app store, and both showed the iPad logged in. With her account.

I am not sure what to do next. One major flaw with this device is the inability to have separate user accounts. In our situation, this is a family device, and we are sharing. The problem here now, is that i have apps from my account, and her accout both installed on the iPad. When i sync this thing to the computer, I am sure all **** is going to break loose. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do here??

Thanks,
Michael

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
This is very interesting. Please post back when you sync.

I had thought about the lack of profiles as being a problem myself. I guess apple wants us to buy multiple iPads :)

mconk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Actually i just found out that it was synced earlier to the iMac with no issues...strange! So, i am essentially getting update notifications for apps installed onto the ipad under two different iTunes user accounts. I really wish they would have implemented a user profile option on this device!

This is very interesting. Please post back when you sync.

I had thought about the lack of profiles as being a problem myself. I guess apple wants us to buy multiple iPads :)

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
In my experience, if you are logged in with account A, and an update appears for an app purchased with account B, it will ask you to enter the info for account B when you tap the update button. However as soon as the update is done, it will switch back to account A. You'll have to go into the settings if you want to sign into another account for more than just app updates.

EDIT: Maybe we'll see some multi-profile features in iPhone/iPad OS 4 this Thursday?

mconk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Looks like you're right...when i went into the app store to do the update, it displayed my email address, and asked for my password...after the download completed, i went into settings and saw that the active itunes account was listed as hers. Very interesting. I am not quite understanding how two iTunes accounts are coexisting on the same device like this...but it appears to be working, either way. I am just not sure whats going to happen when i sync the apps to the computer. I have posted on the apple forums as well.

In my experience, if you are logged in with account A, and an update appears for an app purchased with account B, it will ask you to enter the info for account B when you tap the update button. However as soon as the update is done, it will switch back to account A. You'll have to go into the settings if you want to sign into another account for more than just app updates.

EDIT: Maybe we'll see some multi-profile features in iPhone/iPad OS 4 this Thursday?

Janiemae

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Minnesota
Two IPADs and two Itunes accounts

Can I synch my ipad to my itunes account and also with my husband's itunes account and visa versa. We have two Ipads, two Macbooks, and two itunes accoungts. Please help as this has my head spinning! Thanks:confused:

Baltika09

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I'm used to something similar, I have both an American and a German iTunes account. I use both to download apps/movies/music etc. When there's an app that needs updating on one account I usually have to go to settings->store and then log off the one account and log onto the other account, then update. Its a slight pain, but for myself its worth it to be able to get movies, tv shows, music etc from Germany which i can't get with my US iTunes account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.