Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speters

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
I had a bunch of people over to watch some movies and I could not get any sound out of the spdif connection. I have and 8 Core Mac Pro with the digital out connected to my home theater. I use either xmbc, or vlc to play back my .mkv files apple dvd player for dvd's. I have been doing this for about 8 months and I have hd no issue getting 5.1 from the dvd player. It took me a while to figure out how to get 5.1 from xmbc and vlc but I was eventually able to do it. I was have been using snow leopard since it first came out. Well yesterday I updated to 10.6.3. I had no issues getting audio out lof the line level but when I select the spdif I get nothing from the dvd player, xmbc or vlc. I have found that when I go into the prefs and select digital out, then go into xmbc or vlc then go back to prefs in sometimes jumps back to the line level output. I have checked the prefs audio settings for xmbc and vlc and they are all set correctly but I still get no sound. Does anyone have any advice? I eve tried swapping out my spdif cable with no luck. Can anyone help me

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Is audio via SPDIF through iTunes working? I would try to narrow this down as much as I could. Try playing a regular audio file...

iTris666

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
I have no problem playing regular audio through SPDIF in vlc (with the (encoded) option) , but I'm not sure If I tried with Dolby Digital or DTS signal since 10.6.3 . I'll try that this evening. I have a 2008 Octo Mac Pro.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
You don't say how you got xmbc and vlc to work but I wonder if you did that through a custom, third-party extension or driver. If so, then I'd suspect that this non-Apple extension is your problem.

iTris666

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
dolby works fine in vlc. Note that I have a USB audio interface which is used as default output. vlc has optical for itself.

speters

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
no sound

I have no audio through itunes either. I do get sound when using the line out, but nothing with the digital out. The thing I don't understand is that I had this working for the last 6-8 months. I am trying to think what I have changed since I last had it working. There are several things that I have done, 1) updated to 10.6.3. 2) Updated Perian. 3) After updating perian I think that I might have run a terminal command "defaults write com.cod3r.a52codec attemptPassthrough 1" and "defaults delete com.cod3r.a52codec attemptPassthrough". I am not sure if that could have had any effect?

I have checked the cable and tried in with another source, and it and the input on my processor are both working. The crazy thing is that I also have a dual core G5 running 10.5.6 and everything use to work fine on that as well, but now I can no longer get audio from that computers spdif as well. But again, I am pretty sure that I had updated perian and ran the same command line. Thinking that maybe it was perian, I first ran "Remove Perian" from the preferences, then actually went into library and deleted. But still no sound.

In normal situation if I had two sources that I couldn't get sound from I would say it either has to be either the cable or the input on the audio processor. But if I hook up a normal dvd player to that same cable and input I get sound. So I am thinking there must be something going on with computers. My HT processor is the Theta Casablanca III, and on the front panel there is a blue light that is lit up when it is locked onto a signal, so it is getting a signal. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

iTris666

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Go to Audio and Midi configuration in the utilities folder and make sure the digital out is configured to 48000 Hz 2ch-16bits.

The perian walkthrough ask you to go there and change the values. Maybe you set the values and forgot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.