Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubbm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Trying to have access to UK video websites (BBC iPlayer, ITV etc). I have installed Vidalia & Flash Player 10 to Firefox and have established UK exit server so that I get into the BBC iPlayer but I get a message to install or update my Flash Player. I get the same problem with ITV and YouTube through the UK server.
If I turn Tor off I can run YouTube videos just fine so Flash is working within Firefox.
I have tried turning on and off various AddOns: CookieCuller,RefControl, NoScript.
Obviously a little knowledge is a bad thing. But newbies have to start somewhere!
Help:(

Ubbm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Flash working. Now BBC iPlayer Desktop is a problem...

OK I have just made BBC iPlayer work on my MacBook. But I have not YET conquered the Desktop Player.
I made many mistakes but backtracking this is what worked: Download Firefox and set as your default web browser. Download Vidalia but do NOT mount the TorButton app. Click on the Vidalia icon, click on the Network Map, click on the Union Jack to get all the UK servers. Make a list of the server nicknames. Go to Finder to the Q top right and type "torrc". At the bottom of the torrc text add
ExitNodes
the list of nicknames, each followed by a comma
StrictExitNodes 1
Save (click on the red button and it will ask if you want to save).
Open Firefox, set preferences to homepage: http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/index.php ,
open the next tag and go to the bbc website.
Hopefully "Bob's your uncle"
Please let me know if this works for you.

By doing the above your are connecting to a UK server but also allowing Flash & Java to work.
But the BBC iPlayer Desktop is another problem.
My connexion is slow to borderline OK so sometimes I can watch a programme other times it stops so many times that the website suggests I download the programme to BBC iPlayer Desktop.

dougens

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
London
Go to Finder to the Q top right and type "torrc". At the bottom of the torrc text add
ExitNodes
the list of nicknames, each followed by a comma
StrictExitNodes 1
Save (click on the red button and it will ask if you want to save).
Open Firefox, set preferences to homepage: http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/index.php ,
open the next tag and go to the bbc website.
Hopefully "Bob's your uncle"
Please let me know if this works for you.

I don't see the Q (is that in firefox?)

thanks

Ubbm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Flash not working when using Vidalia Tor to UK exit server

The "Q" in the top right of the MacBook screen, just to the right of the date & time.
Being in the US I am having a problem in that Auntie Beeb has linked into Flash and gets my true location then cuts me off. At least I believe that is what happens.

dougens

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
London
The "Q" in the top right of the MacBook screen, just to the right of the date & time.
Being in the US I am having a problem in that Auntie Beeb has linked into Flash and gets my true location then cuts me off. At least I believe that is what happens.

so you don't think it's possible?

I have been trying out hotspot shield and get it connected, but there is no way to know whether is has given me a usa or uk ip address. i must have tried reconnecting and tried iplayer 50 times but no joy!

driving me mad.....!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.