Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141532-a4_xray_500.jpg

X-ray image of iPad's Apple A4 chip

The teardown experts at iFixit have been busy with the iPad over the past few days, beginning with an analysis of internal photos of the device posted to the FCC's website last Friday and continuing with a teardown of the actual device on Saturday.

Late yesterday, iFixit announced that it had partnered with chip reverse engineering firm Chipworks to open up the iPad's A4 chip, the custom Apple solution that serves as the brains of the device. The project, which is documented in a full iFixit-style teardown, involved both x-ray imaging of the iPad's components and physical cross-sectioning of the A4 chip.

According to the report, the analysis confirms that the chip utilizes a single-core processor, likely the Cortex A8, in a "package-on-package" design that offers Apple the flexibility of separate layers for the microprocessor and the integrated RAM.
There's nothing revolutionary here. In fact, the A4 is quite similar to the Samsung processor Apple uses in the iPhone. The primary focus of this design was minimizing power consumption and cost.
The full Chipworks teardown offers a number of interesting photos of the process used to crack open and examine tiny components like the A4 and confirms much of what has already been determined from iFixit's larger-scale teardown and software methods.

Article Link: iFixit and Chipworks Provide Inside Look at iPad's A4 Processor

sfh

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Sacramento CA
the hp imaginary tablet has 4 solder balls for the processor to sit on un-like the inferior 3 ball design....

LOL figured id get the complaints started for the haters who really wish they had one but cant afford it so they "don't want one and think they are dumb"

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Some people are asking why Apple went to all this trouble, but it sure sounds like the iPad's amazing battery life owes a lot to this thing.

If that's all it did then it was well worth it. Can't wait to see the new iPhone this year!

grempe

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
That is NOT the A4 in x-section, you copied the wrong image

The cross section you copied from iFixit is of the iPhone's system chip, and is *not* the new iPad A4 chip.

Nice work MacRumors. Maybe next time you'll actually read the source article (the guys who actually did the reporting work) before you copy and paste it as if it was your own.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
nothing revolutionary... most knew this. it is a Lego design with an old cellphone chip and lots of BS marketing - but if the iPad runs the Apps well with it for 10hrs, so what? it does the job.

I'm not defending the crap, it is a toy... but it really does not need a real CPU to run Mickey Ware Apps and PacMan

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I'm not sure why Apple just doesn't TELL US what components are in their mobile devices, just like every single other device manufacturer is willing to do.:rolleyes:

I DOES matter - would you buy a laptop without knowing the processor / RAM / etc?

Tony

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Cross-section of iPad's Apple A4 chip showing processor (center gray rectangle) sitting on solder balls with two offset RAM dies above

I'm waiting for the next revision of the iPad that will include three offset RAM dies. That will make it much better. All you people who bought now are suckers.

/sarcasm

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
And this matters because?

If you have to ask that why click on the article.

This is very interesting and backs up the rumours of this being an Intrinsity chip.

As a platform this is going to grow into something much more powerful and/or something much cheaper.

I can see a plastic iPad (at 299?) and a fully featured multicore Cortex A9 within the year.

Wild speculation to offset the negativity. :)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I'm not defending the crap, it is a toy... but it really does not need a real CPU to run Mickey Ware Apps and PacMan

Define "real"? 10 hours battery life and low weight not good enough for you?

I know I shouldn't even credit these posts with a response but I find the negativity here curious. Why waste your time posting? We all know what Apple are good and bad at nowadays right?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well, I do like minimizing power consumption and cost! And I like having double the speed of the 3GS.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you look at iFixit's A4 teardown page, this is a cross-section of the iPhone's SoC, not the iPad's.

Thanks...my brain inserted "iPad" where it actually said "iPhone". I've substituted in a different image that actually shows the A4.

The cross section you copied from iFixit is of the iPhone's system chip, and is *not* the new iPad A4 chip.

Nice work MacRumors. Maybe next time you'll actually read the source article (the guys who actually did the reporting work) before you copy and paste it as if it was your own.

Thanks for the snide remarks...much appreciated as always. :rolleyes:

Of course I read the source article (and have chatted with Kyle)...but mistakes happen. And iFixit and Chipworks are thoroughly cited throughout the post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.