Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Apr 6, 2010, 02:57 PM   #1
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

Just synced my iPad to my MBP and *poof* Apps disappeared [warning]

I've been updating my iPad with Apps from my home desktop (Mac Pro).

At work today, synced it up to the MBP (my "work" laptop), to get my calendar merged, and when the notification popped up to "sync Apps to this iTunes?" (something like that), I checked No, because I didn't want my 1.75GB Elements stored on my laptop, and the countless other Apps I don't need backed up in two places.

Well, iTunes backed up my iPad (something it seems to be doing constantly), and then when I had access to the iPad again—all Apps were deleted. Including GoodReader, and all the PDFs I'd synced from my Mac Pro to the iPad. And iBooks (w/ all books).

After a bit (I know I can just go back home and re-sync my Apps, or at the very least re-download them, and re-sync all the PDFs), and re-download all the free books I got from iBooks... I unchecked "sync apps" on my laptop's iTunes.

#@($*()#$&*^~!

You need to do something about this, Apple. For being so user-friendly, "syncing/deleting" all your apps like this shouldn't be so easy to do.

SUMMARY: Do not sync apps to two iTunes, uncheck "sync apps" from one of them in the iTunes preferences. That is, if you don't want your apps backed up in two places.

Last edited by NewSc2; Apr 6, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
NewSc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
djrobsd
macrumors 6502a

This is my #1 pet peeve with Apple right now. For both the pad and iPhone, it's so easy to accidentally erase everything due to the restrictions they place on syncing from more then 1 computer. It really pisses me off that I paid $500 for a device and I can't even copy music, books, or anything to it except when I'm on my home PC...
djrobsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
illy123
macrumors member

When you sync it with your original computer - hopefully restoring an earlier backup setting will work. If it has already overwritten it then maybe use time machine to get yesterday's (assuming you have it on).

Should be easier then syncing, reordering, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:52 PM   #4
wilycoder
macrumors 6502

You should be able to sync with any computer that has the same itunes account authorized.

c'mon apple....
wilycoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
goobot
macrumors 601

you have to have those apps when syncing your ipad. when itunes doesnt see them in its library it will delete it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:51 PM   #6
soypancho
macrumors newbie

This happened to me. Only sync'd with one computer. 3 days of spreadsheets gone. The back up that was made does NOT contain application info. What's gone is more than likely gone for good. I spoke with Apple support earlier about this. The rep was very helpful, apologetic, and seemed as troubled by the issue as I was. He pushed the case priority as high as he could.

Knowing Apple, we'll get a fix for this very soon. Until then, back up any work you may have done in productivity apps!
soypancho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:59 PM   #7
random person
macrumors 6502a

When you attach the iPad to a different computer right click on the iPad in the device list and select the option to transfer purchases to the new computer. Then the apps will copy over and you can safely sync.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:03 PM   #8
gkrykewy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random person View Post
When you attach the iPad to a different computer right click on the iPad in the device list and select the option to transfer purchases to the new computer. Then the apps will copy over and you can safely sync.
Yes, this is what I did. Worked like a charm.
gkrykewy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:23 PM   #9
DaBrain
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wow! Whew! I just got a new iMac I-5 and IM glad I read this! Thanks, worked like a charm.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:25 PM   #10
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's the thing, I don't want the apps to copy over. If I were reformatting or something, sure, but I was referring to a desktop + laptop syncing with my iPad.
NewSc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:31 PM   #11
SWC
macrumors 6502

Had this same issue. I told it not to sync apps but sync music (which I do quite frequently on my iPhone without issue) and it deleted all the apps anyway.
SWC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:06 AM   #12
TimothyB
macrumors 6502a

I haven't synced my iPhone for months on my computer after installing Windows 7, fearing this will happen again. Can't believe how unpredictable this can be.

When I got the computer it had Vista and I made the move back then. Copied my library, apps, from the previous computer (hate you get duplicate apps from every version you had), thought I did everything right from guides. Connected my iPhone, did not allow it to sync right away. I did transfer purchases, authorized what needed to be, every option I could find. When syncing I authorized authorized authorized, but after a while during the sync I noticed it was uninstalling all my apps.

The it was confusing to restore from backup on my old computer. The backup didn't actually reinstall the apps, so I feared I lost my data. Though, first reinstalling the apps I cared about (since I couldn't recall all of them). This time the backup seemed to restore the data for all those apps.

Once I got passed this issue, it was another nightmare when iTunes wanted to install everything I've ever bought or dled for free, ignoring the iPhone's current app install. Nothing to do but make sure the ones I had installed with important data were checked, then uncheck all the stuff I didn't care about.

When a coworker asked for help on a complete restore for his iPhone 3Gs I wanted nothing to do with it. Apple said a glitch where the touch stops responding randomly was software and needed a restore. I told him how screwy it can be and one mistake could be regretful. I'm sure it automatically asks to restore, but if for some reason it doesn't, and starts to auto sync and do a knew back-up, possibly erasing the one you want, argh, too much to worry about.
TimothyB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:19 AM   #13
master-ceo
macrumors 65816

When copyright protection goes ANAL! This is why I still buy cd's and never buy digital music. I refuse to support the crapTunes store on the music tip.

Think for Yourself, Stop Mind Control
master-ceo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps