Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170721-verizon_logo.jpg

In a brief article, the Associated Press reports that Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg yesterday revealed that his company has explicitly told Apple that it would like to carry the iPhone on its network.
Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg says the company has told Apple that it wants to carry the iPhone. But he declined to say when -- or even if -- the popular smart phone will be available for Verizon Wireless customers.
The topic of the iPhone on Verizon in the U.S. has been popular ever since the device's exclusive release on AT&T's network, and the company has repeatedly mentioned its interest in bringing the popular device to its network. Seidenberg noted last October that the decision was "exclusively in Apple's court", but today's report seems to the first time he has publicly admitted that Verizon has directly asked Apple for the rights to the iPhone. The company has claimed that it is prepared to handle the network traffic should it be permitted to offer the iPhone.

Interest in a Verizon iPhone spiked again late last month after a Wall Street Journal report claiming that a Verizon-compatible iPhone is in the works.

Article Link: Verizon CEO Reveals That He Has Asked Apple for iPhone Rights

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
It's already been proven that Verizon's 3G speeds are slower than AT&T's, plus no talk and data at the same time ..

no thanks. If they do get the iPhone I'd stick with AT&T.

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
News Because ...and most likely, never hasppen

1) Verizon is notorious for it's proprietary applications on its network. Crappy one's too.

It would be a huge coup if Apple said, "Sure, but you have to open up the network to work and allow all of the iPhone functionality (and possibly other functionality in v4.0), like visual Voice Mail and Safari and Maps and etc.

Which I doubt Verizon will ever do.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Verizon, hat in hand. Hmmm. A few years late and a few dollars short, eh?

Verizon has publicly admitted being humbled. Now one wonders if Steve will open the little window or the big window. Wanna bet?

Why news?

1. He is going public for the first time.
2. Steve now has bargaining power to INSIST on data network roaming . . . . . . .
(You can keep AT&T if you want but still use Verizon networks. :) No switching pressure anymore.)
3. See #2

Remember the future is voice-free. Voice is an app on an IP device.

Rocketman

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Bh%$h$%h

You don't say!!!

Now if they would ACTUALLY carry it...

Forget about the stupid TamPad and worry about getting the iPhone in peoples hands, then you have a winning strategy.

Im sooo close to buying a smartphone, my contract is up for upgrade pricing on a new phone, and its sooo tempting to buy a droid

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
With any luck it could happen this year, but I highly doubt it. Maybe next year Verizon. You should of took the offer to begin with. If you want it now, Stevie boy will make you pay!!

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
should be interesting to see what happens. This seems to "pressure" apple and put the ball in their court which they clearly do not like. Would be funny if they declined.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Is it a coincidence that the Wall Street Journal said there would be 2 new iPhone models this year and the iPhone OS 3.2 referenced 2 new iPhone models?

And Steve Jobs said this year's product pipeline is going to be good.

Hmmm...

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It's already been proven that Verizon's 3G speeds are slower than AT&T's, plus no talk and data at the same time ..

no thanks. If they do get the iPhone I'd stick with AT&T.

Good for you... Others live in areas and would rather have a slower network that works 99% of the time than a fast one that works 50% of the time...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Hurm.

Seidenberg and Verizon had their chance 2006/2007. Too bad they turned Apple down.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
You know Jobs isn't going to just let them up and have the iPhone easily after they initially turned it down. Whoever it was at Verizon that convinced everyone that the iPhone would not be worth it should definitely be fired.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
The fact that Seidenberg specifically asked for the iPhone leads me to believe that Apple is not actively working on a CDMA-based iPhone.

Apple's partners usually become very uncommunicative when there's a deal in the works.

Personally, I'd rather see iPhone come to T-Mobile USA. Granted, T-Mobile has about one-third the number of subscribers as Verizon, however adding the AWS band to the iPhone shouldn't be such a big engineering challenge.

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
Good for you... Others live in areas and would rather have a slower network that works 99% of the time than a fast one that works 50% of the time...

Im sure, and they can go get a phone on a network that works for them or keep dreaming about a Verizon iPhone while complaining about service. Simple solution.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Ask Apple for the iPhone?

Verizon Does. ;)

You know Jobs isn't going to just let them up and have the iPhone easily after they initially turned it down. Whoever it was at Verizon that convinced everyone that the iPhone would not be worth it should definitely be fired.

This. Fired for gross misconduct and sued for missed economic gain lol.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Some of the info in the article was posted quite a few months ago on engadget also, the part about "We are ready for the iPhone" and such, why is this news again?

CaptainScarlet

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
CheeseLand
It wouldn't surprise me if Apple hasn't already develop a device for other networks. Mac OS X running on Intel chips were around before anybody knew about it....

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Hurm.

Seidenberg and Verizon had their chance 2006/2007. Too bad they turned Apple down.

That's a story I'd like to hear. Who, specifically, did Apple approach and who turned it down? Assuming CEOs talk to CEOs, I wonder if it was Seidenberg himself who said no.

Whether you love or hate AT&T or Verizon, this initial decision really shows you the perspicacity of each company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.