Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1
ravenvii
macrumors 604

A theory regarding the "mystery" blank key on the iPad dock keyboard...

Since the keyboard is stated to be shipping "late April", perhaps this is because Apple plans to introduce an feature (Expose? Dashboard?) in iPhone OS 4.0 that will use that key, and they don't want to reveal it until after the announcement this Thursday? Maybe that's also when the SDK will be released, and developers can test it on their iPads - blank key and all?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2
NT1440
macrumors G3

Uh, no.

Just because there are blank keys doesn't mean that they are going to be used anything. Have you seen the bluetooth keyboard?
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:55 PM   #3
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Uh, no.

Just because there are blank keys doesn't mean that they are going to be used anything. Have you seen the bluetooth keyboard?
But the Bluetooth keyboard can be used with a computer and you (or applications) can assign functions to it. That's pointless with the Dock keyboard, so clearly it may be used for something.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Mark Booth
macrumors 65816

I think the blank key will be used to signal the mothership to bring more tin foil for the hats!

Mark
Mark Booth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:24 PM   #5
HiRez
macrumors 601

Adding a Tab key sure would be nice. And why the heck is the apostrophe not on the home page? The exclamation mark is and I use that far less commonly than the apostrophe.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Nausicaa
macrumors 6502

I was assuming that the blank key was just the "home" button on the iPad.
Nausicaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:49 PM   #7
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Uh, no.

Uh, no.

The bluetooth keyboard does not have blank keys.

Apple would not leave a key completely blank, so this is actually the most plausible reason.
pooryou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:52 PM   #8
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Adding a Tab key sure would be nice. And why the heck is the apostrophe not on the home page? The exclamation mark is and I use that far less commonly than the apostrophe.
Maybe because Apple figured most of your apostrophe needs would be handled by the auto-correcting feature? It converts ill to I'll, im to I'm, and its to it's and so forth.

Just a guess.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:09 PM   #9
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes! How are you supposed to indent lists in Pages in landscape mode where there is no toolbar?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:12 PM   #10
kdesign7
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to kdesign7 Send a message via AIM to kdesign7 Send a message via MSN to kdesign7

B.i.n.g.o
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:14 PM   #11
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

That's where the Windows key will go once Steve Ballmer initiates a hostile takeover with Monopoly money.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:24 PM   #12
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Maybe because Apple figured most of your apostrophe needs would be handled by the auto-correcting feature? It converts ill to I'll, im to I'm, and its to it's and so forth.

Just a guess.
I think you are right. At first this annoyed me, but considering that the majority of people out there don't seem to know how to use the apostrophe correctly in the first place, it is probably for the best.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:29 PM   #13
goobot
macrumors 68040

Um no? People already have the keyboard dock. and MacBooks have blank keys. And they left it there so they don't screw up the keyboard layout.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:34 PM   #14
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Um no? People already have the keyboard dock. and MacBooks have blank keys. And they left it there so they don't screw up the keyboard layout.
MacBooks do not have blank keys. Function keys are not blank.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:32 AM   #15
Babybandit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooryou View Post
MacBooks do not have blank keys. Function keys are not blank.
My MacBook Pro has F11 and F12 Blank. Maybe you guys are just 'thinking too much'?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:32 AM   #16
HiRez
macrumors 601

Except "it's" and "its" are two different things, how would autocorrect know which one to use? I don't think it's that smart.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:39 AM   #17
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I think that this is about the physical keyboard dock, not the on-screen keyboard.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:50 AM   #18
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybandit View Post
My MacBook Pro has F11 and F12 Blank. Maybe you guys are just 'thinking too much'?
See next post.

Last edited by pooryou; Apr 7, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:02 AM   #19
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Just in case people haven't seen what we are talking about here..this one is 100% blank, not a like function key.

Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:58 AM   #20
Mr Skills
macrumors 6502a

Is it possible that they are just using the exact same keyboard as the bluetooth one (to keep manufacturing costs down) and they just didn't have anything left to put on that key?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:03 AM   #21
GrindedDown
macrumors regular

^^^ Apple doesn't do anything without a purpose. Example: All of the iphone marketing materials (posters, pics, etc...) show the time as 9:42 all of the ipad ones show as 9:41. Those were the times they were announced. If the key was meant to be left blank, the would have removed it from the keyboard or put some arbitrary function. It could possibly be some sort of hot key function, but I think OP may be right about it being a function related to OS 4.0.
GrindedDown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:11 AM   #22
Ka Ora!
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Since the keyboard is stated to be shipping "late April", perhaps this is because Apple plans to introduce an feature (Expose? Dashboard?) in iPhone OS 4.0 that will use that key, and they don't want to reveal it until after the announcement this Thursday? Maybe that's also when the SDK will be released, and developers can test it on their iPads - blank key and all?
Its a new revolutionary F6 key without F6 on it.

None of the function keys have F numbers on the displayed picture which kind of leaves F6 no choice but to be blank. Aesthetically it would look better not being blank.

Steve ballmer was invited to give it a use and he placed on it the first thing that came to mind......Nothing So from now on the blank key on a Apple keyboard should be called the Ballmer key.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:34 AM   #23
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
They could of used LEDs instead of that button. What a missed opportunity. The keyboard would be so cool with LEDs.

Guys come on its a frickin' button. Why all the conspiracy theories?

It theres no specific function it doesnt get an icon. If the buttons had F1 F2 F3 on them then it would be F7 yet still not have a function assigned to it unless you give it one. The reason its not labelled as F7 is because the others are not labelled F1, F2 F3, etc.

Theres no 'new' iPad function in the pipeline. If there was what are they going to do? Recall all the keyboards and label up the buttons again?

MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:51 AM   #24
LinMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
Guys come on its a frickin' button. Why all the conspiracy theories?
Remember that Apple is the company that kept the iPad under lock and key at the Wall Street Journal having an employee unlock it every day then lock it back up to keep it secret. Conspiracy theories don't sound so far fetched when dealing with Apple.
LinMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:06 AM   #25
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Conspiracies are very common actually; many people seem to be confused as to what the word actually means.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories