Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:47 AM   #1
LaNex
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I know a few of you were interested in this. Here's how to do it (according to lioncourt.com, who are self proclaimed experts in Apple accessibility).

1. Turn VoiceOver on. Unless you're using it all the time, I suggest going to the settings pane and choose Accessibility, VoiceOver then check 'triple click of home to turn VoiceOver on or off' or whatever the option is. Can't check right now as I am using my iPhone to post this and if I come out of Safari this text will disappear.

2. Open iBooks and the book you want. Triple click the home button to tum VoiceOver on. It will say 'VoiceOver on'.

3. Place two fingers on the screen. Make sure they're fingers held next to each other. Flick those fingers downwards in a smooth quick motion. You may have to practice to get it right.

4. VoiceOver will begin to read the page from the top, and when it gets to the bottom, it will turn the page for you and carry on speaking the next page. And so on. To stop it just tap on the screen anywhere with one finger (VoiceOver will most likely read whatever is under your finger, then stop. )

5. Unless you want to carry on using VoiceOver gsetures for everything else you do with your ipad, remember to triple click to turn it off again when done.

Caveats to this are that I do not have an ipad to test this because I'm a forgotten UK apple fan, I'm just relaying what lioncourt.com has said. Usually they get it right with regards to VoiceOver but not always.

Here's someone else's youtube demo for those who can see (no narration to describe how to do it, just a video of someone doing it) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5kLiRxuuq0

Last edited by LaNex; Apr 7, 2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Edited to include a youtube demo from mac rumours member Cleverboy.
LaNex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:51 AM   #2
ImperialX
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to ImperialX
Flipping the pages seem like fun to me though. Don't think I'll need to do any of this.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:03 AM   #3
LaNex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post
Flipping the pages seem like fun to me though. Don't think I'll need to do any of this.
Probably not, but a coupla people expressed an interest in getting books read to them as they were driving, when it isn't such a good idea to turn the pages yourself.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a

If you want it read to you why not just get an audio book?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:16 AM   #5
LaNex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
If you want it read to you why not just get an audio book?
Because not all books come in audio book format. Like educational texts, engineering texts, products or maintenance manuals, books from your teens that you might like to read again, books that indie authors have written, and so on.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:38 AM   #6
hchavarria
macrumors 6502

Thank you for this info. This is one thing I was missing from my kindle. Will try it out today when I get home from work.
hchavarria is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad