Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:54 AM   #1
aaronp1994
macrumors newbie

Macbook air WIRELESS external hard drive

Looking for an external hard drive for my macbook air, and it MUST BE WIRELESS. i only have 1 usb lol.

So yeah, bluetooth i guess?

where can i look for the cheap prices?
and offer some links to some ?

dont wanna spend more than 150.
aaronp1994 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:08 AM   #2
reh
macrumors 6502a

Do you have an Airport basestation? You can plug a USB hard drive into it and access it over your wireless network.
reh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:46 AM   #3
gwsat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronp1994 View Post
Looking for an external hard drive for my macbook air, and it MUST BE WIRELESS. i only have 1 usb lol.

So yeah, bluetooth i guess?

where can i look for the cheap prices?
and offer some links to some ?

dont wanna spend more than 150.
I have been using a Apple Time Capsule for a couple of years. It makes automatic backups of your hard drive. That way you can have an archive of all of your data and not have to keep too much of it on your computer's own hard drive. The Time Capsule does double duty as an 802.11n wireless router, which your MBA supports. Is this the sort of thing you are interested in?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

You can buy either an AirPort Extreme Base Station and plug an external drive into the USB port or a Time Capsule. The nice thing about these is you can setup access from the Internet. Then you have WiFi access at home, and when away from home just access your files over the Internet. It all really works great with the MBA. Consider a Mobile Me account too.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:33 PM   #5
gwsat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
You can buy either an AirPort Extreme Base Station and plug an external drive into the USB port or a Time Capsule. The nice thing about these is you can setup access from the Internet. Then you have WiFi access at home, and when away from home just access your files over the Internet. It all really works great with the MBA. Consider a Mobile Me account too.
I once had my Time Capsule setup for Internet access but had so many problems with it, the details of which I can no longer recall, I gave up on it. These days, if I need to backup a file or files while I am on the road, I do it to a USB thumb drive that I keep in my laptop bag. It's not very sexy but it works.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:19 PM   #6
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Bluetooth would be horrendously slow for all but the smallest files. You're options are to get a wireless router with USB storage capabilities or to get a USB external and just swap devices (or a USB hub).
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:12 AM   #7
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I once had my Time Capsule setup for Internet access but had so many problems with it, the details of which I can no longer recall, I gave up on it. These days, if I need to backup a file or files while I am on the road, I do it to a USB thumb drive that I keep in my laptop bag. It's not very sexy but it works.
Need to have DNS and/or a home IP address that doesn't change. Also have to set the Firewall up on the router to accept the incoming request by opening a port. Also, Apple brags about it but it doesn't make it very clear how to make it work. If I remember right, it took an hour or so the first time and never been a problem since. It could be a pain if you don't pay for a DNS account (like maybe $10 year). Because if your home router IP gets a new IP address, you will lose the connection. If I remember right, my DNS auto-configures if my router IP were to change (but it doesn't). I probably know a little more than I should which probably helped me set it up faster, but with an hour of reading on the Internet, anyone could do it. Or maybe its been long enough that I am remembering less than I should and I have missed a detail. The important thing is once it's setup properly, it just works.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:21 AM   #8
gwsat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
Need to have DNS and/or a home IP address that doesn't change. Also have to set the Firewall up on the router to accept the incoming request by opening a port. Also, Apple brags about it but it doesn't make it very clear how to make it work. If I remember right, it took an hour or so the first time and never been a problem since. It could be a pain if you don't pay for a DNS account (like maybe $10 year). Because if your home router IP gets a new IP address, you will lose the connection. If I remember right, my DNS auto-configures if my router IP were to change (but it doesn't). I probably know a little more than I should which probably helped me set it up faster, but with an hour of reading on the Internet, anyone could do it. Or maybe its been long enough that I am remembering less than I should and I have missed a detail. The important thing is once it's setup properly, it just works.
I didn't have too much trouble setting up remote access. I did it by using the cable modem's IP address. My Time Capsule is setup to share a public IP address, which is the cable modem's IP address. The problem was that everything worked too slowly to suit me, so I decided not to use it any more. Maybe I'll try again sometime but the thumb drive kludge has worked quite well for me, far better than remote Internet access network ever did. Anyway, it's a matter of personal preference and I understand why you use it, although I have decided that for the moment at least it's not for me.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:37 AM   #9
notjustjay
macrumors 603

At home I have a D-Link DNS-323 NAS device with a 1 TB drive plugged into it. It's not strictly a wireless device but since my Mac connects via wireless, it can access the network drive just fine. It is a bit slow to copy large files via WiFi, however.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:02 PM   #10
hellfire88
macrumors 6502

I had a Dlink DNS-323 as well, great little box. It has 2 hard drive bays so you can mirror 2 drives 2 for data redundancy (in case one hard drive fails). With the Time Capsule you can kinda get data redundancy by plugging in an external hard drive to the time capsule and set it to automatically back up data from the internal hard drive to the external.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:27 PM   #11
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I didn't have too much trouble setting up remote access. I did it by using the cable modem's IP address. My Time Capsule is setup to share a public IP address, which is the cable modem's IP address. The problem was that everything worked too slowly to suit me, so I decided not to use it any more. Maybe I'll try again sometime but the thumb drive kludge has worked quite well for me, far better than remote Internet access network ever did. Anyway, it's a matter of personal preference and I understand why you use it, although I have decided that for the moment at least it's not for me.
It depends on the Internet speed of both the Internet carrier where your AirPort Extreme is and the Internet speed of where you are accessing it from. If you have slow DSL at either, it will be slow. For huge files, it's not nearly as great as being on the WiFi at home... but for files you need, it's no different than downloading from iTunes.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 02:55 AM   #12
slapguts
macrumors 6502a

I also use an external connected to an Airport Extreme. I've been really happy with it. I have it set to 802.11N only, and stream all my media from the external.

Remote access does work, the only flaw is my ISP's upload speed. I have transferred entire movies to my computer from the external at home while in a hotel room across the country, though. Took almost as loong as watching the movie, but it did work.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 02:12 PM   #13
jdechko
macrumors 68040

@Scottsdale,

DynDns.com and no-ip.com both allow you to route a fully qualified domain name (something.dyndns.com or something.no-ip.com) to a dynamic IP address for free. If you're already paying for a static IP address, then this isn't necessary, but most people have dynamic IP addresses.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechko View Post
@Scottsdale,

DynDns.com and no-ip.com both allow you to route a fully qualified domain name (something.dyndns.com or something.no-ip.com) to a dynamic IP address for free. If you're already paying for a static IP address, then this isn't necessary, but most people have dynamic IP addresses.
That's great information for anyone that doesn't have static IP on their home network.

Free is better than $10 per year, LOL. It's ridiculous for what people pay for Internet to not even get their own damn IP address.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air