Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:53 AM   #1
omni-impotent
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G internal microphone not working

A few months ago the silent mode of my iPhone 3G was switching on and off by itself constantly which made it unuseable. So I opened up my iPhone (I was following guides from the net but I still did it more violently that I would have liked), blew away some dust, remade the switch connections and that seemed to fix it. However, as a result of this the vibration mode did not work. I lived without this for a few months but then decided yesterday I was going to open up again to try to fix it.

I did not manage to fix it but when I closed up the iPhone the internal microphone doesn't work now! When I was accessing the vibration module with a metallic screw driver (bad idea! I know!) I created a spark very close to it (see photo).

Is this where the microphone circuitry is? Everything else seems to be working fine. If not, I may have just damaged the microphone unknowingly. I am happy to replace this myself but don't want to go through the trouble if I knew the spark/shorting that I did broke the phone....

omni-impotent is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting