Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1
bdavis89
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Can you use the iPad's storage as virtual RAM?

I post this obviously in the jailbreak section because I'm pretty sure apple wouldn't allow it, but is there anything in the jailbreak realm that would let us use some of the iPad storage, since it's flash, as ram? I have a 16gb iPad, and would happily use 512mb+ to get better multitasking and speed. My inspiration is when you plug in a flash drive on windows you have the option of using it as RAM. I figured there might be a way to use unused space on the ipad for more RAM on the ipad? What do you guys think, is this possible?
bdavis89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
It can be done, but it is damaging to the iPads flash storage.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
xraytech
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis89 View Post
I post this obviously in the jailbreak section because I'm pretty sure apple wouldn't allow it, but is there anything in the jailbreak realm that would let us use some of the iPad storage, since it's flash, as ram? I have a 16gb iPad, and would happily use 512mb+ to get better multitasking and speed. My inspiration is when you plug in a flash drive on windows you have the option of using it as RAM. I figured there might be a way to use unused space on the ipad for more RAM on the ipad? What do you guys think, is this possible?
Yes but from what I read around the internets, on iOS 4.x it's not recommended.

But if you are still interested here yah go.

Using iFile, navigate to '/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/', then create a new file and name it 'com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist', set the 'owner' as 'root' and the 'group' as 'wheel', the rest leave them at default.

- Copy the lines below, then go back into iFile and paste them as the content of the earlier created file. Now save the file and close iFile.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EnableTransactions</key>
<true/>
<key>HopefullyExitsLast</key>
<true/>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.apple.dynamic_pager</string>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/sbin/dynamic_pager</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

- Now still using iFile, navigate to "/Library/Preferences/" or "/private/var/preferences/" and create a file named "com.apple.virtualMemory.plist" with he same properties as the other one.

- Copy and paste this into the new file, then save it:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>UseEncryptedSwap</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

- Now reboot/restart your iPad, and you are good to go.

To check if this is working right, open iFile back up, then navigate to '/private/var/vm/' and see if you have a file called swapfile0 that is 64MB in size.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
maturola
macrumors 68040
 
maturola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Send a message via AIM to maturola
YEs you can.

Note: it is NOT recommended for several reason, first at all the OS was never build to support that type of functionality(unlike Windows, OSX, Linux, Unix or any Desktop/server OS that was coded to support that as in your example), so expect a VERY VERY Alpha type of behavior including hardware damage due to increasing the read/write cycles and reducing the life spam of some components.
__________________
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
13'' Unibody MacBook / iPhone 4 32GB / iPad 32GB - Made by , Fix by the Dev Team
LockedUSB Charger Firewall and Power Optimizer
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
xraytech
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by maturola View Post
YEs you can.

Note: it is NOT recommended for several reason, first at all the OS was never build to support that type of functionality(unlike Windows, OSX, Linux, Unix or any Desktop/server OS that was coded to support that as in your example), so expect a VERY VERY Alpha type of behavior including hardware damage due to increasing the read/write cycles and reducing the life spam of some components.
Agreed, use this hack at your own risk.

That being said, I've been using the Virtual Memory hack since the "Spirit" Jailbreak and iOS 3.1.2 and have not had any issues with stability or wear & tear on the solid state memory of my iPad.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Riemann Zeta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I don't think that burning out the Flash storage on the iPad is that much of a concern. First, the iPad is not really the type of device one will be using 5-10 years from now, when that would be a serious concern. And second, if virtual memory is so destructive to flash, wouldn't all modern operating systems be 'highly toxic' for SSDs?

I assume it might screw with 3rd party apps and overall compatibility, though.
Riemann Zeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:08 AM   #7
xraytech
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann Zeta View Post
... I assume it might screw with 3rd party apps and overall compatibility, though.
Nope, works just fine. Actually my iPad has fewer hiccups with the Virtual Memory hack.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Riemann Zeta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Nope, works just fine. Actually my iPad has fewer hiccups with the Virtual Memory hack.
Cool. Now I guess I just need a good solid jailbreak solution for OS 4.2.
Riemann Zeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:17 AM   #9
xraytech
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann Zeta View Post
Cool. Now I guess I just need a good solid jailbreak solution for OS 4.2.
From what I read from the original post of this hack, it will not work under iOS 4.2
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:33 PM   #10
maturola
macrumors 68040
 
maturola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann Zeta View Post
And second, if virtual memory is so destructive to flash, wouldn't all modern operating systems be 'highly toxic' for SSDs?
.
SSD are a totally different issue all together, SSD got buffers and differente type of addressing and power scheme. that's how they work. Also the way the OS write to it is also different. believe me that type of hacks can damage flash easily. It is not going to kill the whole flash but sectors are going to star faling which it will cause the OS to freak out and execute error correction more often, exercising the flash even more.
__________________
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
13'' Unibody MacBook / iPhone 4 32GB / iPad 32GB - Made by , Fix by the Dev Team
LockedUSB Charger Firewall and Power Optimizer
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Riemann Zeta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
SSD are a totally different issue all together, SSD got buffers and differente type of addressing and power scheme. that's how they work. Also the way the OS write to it is also different. believe me that type of hacks can damage flash easily.
I'm not entirely sure about that. I mean, yes, an SSD has a RAM buffer on the drive (usually anywhere from 32-128MB) for buffering writes, but it is not as if the OS swap partition/file will always reside in the write buffer. And I don't think that most operating systems address or treat SSDs differently (yet): the SSD's hardware controller--which itself is an entire SoC, with low-level "OS"--presents an SSD to a PC as if it were a normal spinning disk, with geometry and the whole works. The controller then handles translating "HDD-like" read and write commands from the OS into whatever bizarre, proprietary data addressing scheme that particular SSD uses. I remember reading that Windows 7 has a few special "SSD-aware" features, but Linux and Mac OS 10.6 don't really treat SSDs that much differently.

Doesn't the flash RAM in an embedded device also have one of those controllers?

However, I do see your point when it comes to the limited amount of RAM that the iPad has. In a conventional PC, with something like 4GB of RAM, there isn't going to be a whole lot of continuous swapping-out to disk going on; with the iPad and its 256MB, there will be.
Riemann Zeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you use the iPad's storage as virtual RAM on 4.3? Isaiah5417 iPad Hacks 1 May 3, 2011 10:20 AM
Can you replace the iPad's SIM card easily? GFLPraxis iPad 2 Feb 23, 2011 11:26 AM
Can you use the Mac Mini as a external hard drive? DannyNguyener Mac mini 1 Jul 5, 2010 08:02 PM
Can you use the power button on the keyboard as a power button of your iMac? hojoon0724 iMac 0 Jun 25, 2010 03:25 AM
Can you use the first gen iPhone on a pay as you go plan? jedmonds iPhone 1 Aug 21, 2008 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC