Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Shymcfly
macrumors member

Best photo editing/photography apps...

One of the main reasons for purchasing the iPad was on the fly photo editing and mainly as a digital portfolio of sorts. Most people are in awe when I pull it out and show them a touchable, zoomable, editable, emailable, so hands on portfolio or photo shoot makeup. I would like to know what apps people are using for their phot editing needs.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
ippikiokami
macrumors regular

Hey Shymcfly,

Sorry to ask this way but why would you want to do editing on your iPad and not on a laptop or desktop?

But if you must

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo...363448251?mt=8

Was a great app for the iphone and they have a version for the ipad.
ippikiokami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:07 PM   #3
uMac
macrumors 6502

I've heard good things about this app for the iphone but I don't know if it will work on an ipad because there is no camera -sigh.
http://www.thebestcamera.com/app.html
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Shymcfly
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippikiokami View Post
Hey Shymcfly,

Sorry to ask this way but why would you want to do editing on your iPad and not on a laptop or desktop?

But if you must

Not as my main form of editing by any means I use the photo shop master suite for that purpose but just an on the fly something I would have readily at hand in the field type thing
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:30 PM   #5
NSX
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shymcfly View Post
One of the main reasons for purchasing the iPad was on the fly photo editing and mainly as a digital portfolio of sorts. Most people are in awe when I pull it out and show them a touchable, zoomable, editable, emailable, so hands on portfolio or photo shoot makeup. I would like to know what apps people are using for their phot editing needs.
Dont you need a laptop or something to put the photos on anyway????
NSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:36 PM   #6
shady825
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shymcfly View Post
+1 on the digital portfolio!
That was the very first reason I wanted the iPad. It will be so nice, as you said, to show a zoomable/touchable hands on portfolio. People will love it. It will make a killer impression for sure!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:16 PM   #7
StBDawg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Dont you need a laptop or something to put the photos on anyway????
Not if you have the camera connection kit, you can hook your camera right to your iPad with a USB cord or put the SD card into the SD card reader.
StBDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:53 PM   #8
stagi
macrumors 65816

No appsi have found useful for editing yet. I still edit with my mac pro but then do add my best shoots to my iPad as a digital portfolio.
stagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:20 AM   #9
gatearray
macrumors 65816

PixelMagic has all the simple stuff found in iPhoto on the Mac like levels and color correction, as well as having some nice Photoshop-Lite functionality as well. Burning and dodging with your finger is all sorts of fun, too! Seems to be a nice alternative to Photogene, which I haven't tried yet.

Also, Tiltshift Generator is really cool for blurring and vignetting effects, along with some saturation and brightness/contrast stuff. It will give your images that vintage "Toy Camera" look and also excels at making fake miniature pictures. These two apps work very well in tandem, too. Just save a pic from one app to the photo roll and open it up in the other.

The iPad is so much more than a consumption device like many have stated on these forums. I write, paint and draw, edit photos, and make music on mine, and the iPad app store isn't even a month old yet! Think about when the iPhone apps first came out, and what they do on that platform now. We're just getting started here...
gatearray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:32 AM   #10
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippikiokami View Post
Hey Shymcfly,

But if you must

That app, Photogene, rocks.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:19 AM   #11
glxyjones
macrumors regular

Anyone have any insight on any new photo editing apps?

I'm looking for something that can do the typical white balance/contrast/color manipulation as well as vignettes, something photogene doesn't do very well.

Pretty much looking for the closest thing to Lightroom possible
glxyjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 11:35 PM   #12
NSX
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBDawg View Post
Not if you have the camera connection kit, you can hook your camera right to your iPad with a USB cord or put the SD card into the SD card reader.
does this connection connect to the dock of the ipad. because of the lack of a usb on the ipad??????
NSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 08:00 AM   #13
Bob Chadwick
macrumors member

Yes. It comes with two plugs that hook into the dock connector. One takes an SD card directly and the other has a USB connector. The camera cord plugs into the USB connector, as does a USB card reader though they all don't work.
Bob Chadwick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 02:59 AM   #14
ultima
macrumors member

I use Photogene to edit photos, it's good and simple to use
ultima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 12:38 AM   #15
iRabbit
macrumors 6502

Another vote for Photogene...
PhotoForge is new and looks to be promising.
PixelMagic seems pretty good too.
And FilterStorm is one i like a lot.

The biggest limitation I've found with a lot of photo editing apps is that they won't save a photo at it's original size, but only a downsized version. I'm not sure a lot of developers of these apps had 10, 12 and greater megapixel cameras in mind when they developed their tools...
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:29 AM   #16
NWI73
Banned

Are there any apps out there that can blur over background things? I have a few photos that have things in the background such as a great picture only to have a car in the corner of the pic....is there anything that can blur things like that out?
NWI73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:33 AM   #17
stil
macrumors member

Check out Filterstorm.

I find it to be the best and most versatile photo editing app for the iPad. They have a couple of good tutorial videos on their site that can show you what the app can do.
stil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:49 PM   #18
Diane B
macrumors member

The closest app I've found to Lightroom is Filterstorm. Even masks of a sort and brushes. I use it and Photogene for on the fly processing. Photosort is useful to set up in albums and name and rename. I upload but keep all my files on my cards for later uploading to Lightroom. I'd have to check, but believe its Photogene that has the ability to upload to Flickr which is nice if you want to use for a quick interjection in a forum thread.

Another app I like is Reeldirector. Great to do a slideshow ordered as I want, the ability to pan and zoom. If you do a bit of video but don't want to get too serious about it, RD is fun and the results can be pretty nice. You can upload to Youtube from it also for sharing.

Maybe a bit OT but I like Dropbox for moving Photos around without dealing with iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyjones View Post
Anyone have any insight on any new photo editing apps?

I'm looking for something that can do the typical white balance/contrast/color manipulation as well as vignettes, something photogene doesn't do very well.

Pretty much looking for the closest thing to Lightroom possible
Diane B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 03:08 PM   #19
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

I am looking for something to do quick recolours using hue/sat type thing for car rims and things like that, what would you suggest for something of that nature?

I will most likely try a few mention on this thread when I have the time, to see what I like best but any input is appreciated!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps