Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayhay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I just joined the forums yesterday and I am really impressed!! I searched the forum for the answer to this, but I am not a technical person so most of the posts regarding Flash seem to just be people whining about it or spouting acronyms and numbers I do not understand.

Basically, I am just wondering if it possible in the world of "computer land" for this version of the iPad to support Flash (i.e. through software updates or an app), or is this something that will not be available until the next version of the ipad comes out. Either way I am buying the iPad as soon as I can get my hands on one, but it will change which size I buy (i.e. if I will have to buy the newer version to get flash, I am only buying the $499 one now and I will sell it when the newer versions are released).

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
As stated already, little to no chance of showing up on an Apple mobile device. Like it or not the flash plug in is a resource hog and has plenty of issues unrelated to Apple devices. Even If they improve it to become more efficient I don't see it showing up on Apple mobile devices. Apple clearly has the marketing power to influence companies to offer their content without using flash to deliver it.

If you holding out for an Apple mobile device with flash... you will be waiting a very long time.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
No way. And I'm glad, I just wish other companies would do the same and ban flash also. IMO Flash is the second biggest downfall to security on the net, next to ActiveX being first by 100 miles.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
The following is a reply from September 28, 2005:

I don't think that the 5th Gen is due till March 06 at the earliest. And I don't think that there will be any video on any iPod untill 07 or later. Doesn't anyone listen to Steve when he talks? He has said time and time again that video and a 2-inch screen do not go together and that the iPod is not the right device for video. Doesn't anyone pay attention.....? It will be a longo time before a video Pod ever gets built because right now Steve has no plans of doing such a thing.

2 weeks later an iPod with video support was announced.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
On the subject of Flash, I just was at espn.go.com and wanted to see the video on the Masters, so i clicked on thinking I'll get the blue box or something telling me I need flash. Sure enough i get the box telling me I need flash version whatever, then about 5 seconds later the vide starts playing! I guess the options have started showing up to play video via other means. Very cool. It showed the Q for QuickTime, so it would appear they have taken steps to allow non flash devices to access their content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.