Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Yowza, so either keep my JB'd 3.1.2, or get the new iPhone....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm choices.

Rhino420

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
did i read the last state ment wrong did they say no multi tasking for 3gs and 3g? or just the 3g?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
did i read the last state ment wrong did they say no multi tasking for 3gs and 3g? or just the 3g?

Just 3G, improve those reading skills ;)

EDIT: This just made my choice easy though I think, on my JB'd 3G I can already background, have themes, and I can tether and hot spot, pshhh I'l be good for a while!

Rhino420

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Just 3G, improve those reading skills ;)

oh so my 3gs is still good i dont know why it mattered anyways im getting the new iphone in june when it come out because my contract is up every june man that is the best thing ever !! how i timed it so perfectly i never will know haha !

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I posted a thread a minute before you. I was shocked lol... people are gonna be bitchin' and moanin' real soon :p

Good thing I have a 3GS!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This is what I was guessing all along. At one point the older hardware isnt going to be able to handle the new OS. considering the iphone and iphone 3G use same cpu,ram, it should have been obvious theyd cut those off.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
When the rumours of multi-tasking were doing the rounds this week, I always said I never expected to be multi-tasking on my iPhone 3G, it simply doesn't have the memory.

However, it would have been a bit less of a blow had Jobs said from the outset that it would be a 3GS feature only ... demoing it then telling us right at the end that it wouldn't happen on a 3G was like saying, "Look at all this new stuff" then sticking the finger up at us.

Ah well, nothing that wasn't expected ... but the execution could have been better.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I don't expect a 2 y/o phone to support the latest and greatest OS, I really don't have any issue with that.

I can see it being more of a bummer for iPod Touch owners I suppose, something that ideally would last you for years.

The moment the next iPhone hits the shelves, yoink, my trusty 3G will be in the hands of another (I've already found a buyer).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Not enough power in 3G. Apple doesn't want things to barely work or be sluggish so for me this wasn't a surprise.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Not enough power in 3G. Apple doesn't want things to barely work or be sluggish so for me this wasn't a surprise.

Exactly. Keeping the 3G and below as the lowest common denominator would have held back the newer models.

Plus, the fact I've got to use a freemem app and reboot my 3G fairly regularly is a bit of a clue!

outcastrc

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
BC, Canada
Apple can go to ____ :mad:

Somehow I can fully multitask just fine if I jailbreak but Apple won't let me (with 3g) natively?

3gs gets a limited api pretend to be multitask? Pathetic...

Androids looking better and better!

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
lol yea, I like how Steve waited til the very end after announcing and demoing all these new features... "oh by the way... NO MULTITASK 4 U! LULZ"

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
I didn't expect for the 3G to multitask. It's nearly 2 year old technology now. This OS is optimized for the new model coming out this summer.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
My jailbroken 3G can already mult-task and create folders. Has notifications on the lockscreen, completely customizable. I'd be downgrading if I upgraded to 4.0 to be honest. I want to see what new hardware features the new iphone has before I decide I'd want to upgrade (and have to jailbreak again) or say hello to EVO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.