Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Now available via Software Update:
Security Update 2004-09-16 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following component:

iChat

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

There are updates for 10.2.8 + iChat 1.0, 10.2.8 + iChat 2.0, and 10.3.5 + iChat 2.1.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
the knowledge base info link only tells about the 9/7 update. What's new in this. Isn't Apple having a lot of these lately? What gives?

spikymohawks

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2004
seattle
i dont get it

y does macrumors need to post these security updates on their homepage. it could at least be on p. 2. Maybe cause they dont have enough rumors anymore... hint hint macrumors

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I'm sick of all these security updates. Can't everyone just leave everyone else alone? Let's unlock our front doors and simplify computing. ;)

millarj

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
Fixes FTP bug

Whoo Hoo! Installed and the ftpd bug is fixed. If I can just keep the flames from shooting out of the optical drive door, this would be a perfect update. :)

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
spikymohawks said:
y does macrumors need to post these security updates on their homepage. it could at least be on p. 2. Maybe cause they dont have enough rumors anymore... hint hint macrumors

Go back to the home page and look at the macrumors icon at the top of the page, under it, it says 'news and rumors you care about'

This article would be in the NEWS category ;)

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Trekkie said:
Mine didn't say it needed a restart, so why restart?

Going for uptime? It did say to restart. I ran permissions afterwards and it found a few things.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
spikymohawks said:
Software updates are a big deal, and I appreciate it being on the front page. If you haven't noticed, Macrumors is a community, and being such, it is a forum for many topics. There is not a censor in place to limit things only to "rumors".

Tuttle

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Restart?!?

Get your act together Apple. An iChat patch does not require a restart.

Tuttle

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
LimeLite said:
Uh, I think they know when their updated require a restart or not.

Wrong.

There is no excuse for userland patches to require a system restart. A logout, maybe.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Tuttle said:
There is no excuse for userland patches to require a system restart. A logout, maybe.
Well then how about a reality check? Security updates modify the core resources of OS X, and if you just quit the installer, rather than restart, parts of the OS with information about the resources stored from before the update will attempt to read information from the modified resources, potentially causing conflicts and/or kernel panics. A restart clears out the pre-modified information from RAM with the updated information. I think that's what generally happens...if not, then somebody correct me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.