Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
So I can do this with iPhoto... but I dont use iPhoto. I only use Aperture 3.

I just want to select a photo from my photos, and make it my wallpaper.

Is this an option anywhere?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Does the Aperture library not show up in System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop?

4504317039_2dbe6f2544_o.png

DougY

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2009
Dont need Aperture for that!

You want to change your background? Just Rt Click on the Desktop, then Change Desktop Background, and pick whatever background you want. It's that easy.

kirvent4

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Aperture Library Not Available in "Change Desktop" Preference

I'm unable to get my Aperture Library to appear in the Change Desktop preference...

I'm created an iPhoto library. Deleted the plst file. Disabled the preview sharing with iLife and iWork. I even created a new Aperture Library outside and within the Pictures folder...

Any ideas?

Does the Aperture library not show up in System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop?

4504317039_2dbe6f2544_o.png

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
I'm unable to get my Aperture Library to appear in the Change Desktop preference...

[...] Disabled the preview sharing with iLife and iWork.

I think that's your problem; the desktop picture selector uses the preview picture crated by Aperture (so make sure you set your preview size in Aperture > Preferences to at least as big as your desktop).

harry72

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
You want to change your background? Just Rt Click on the Desktop, then Change Desktop Background, and pick whatever background you want. It's that easy.

Is there no way that when you are viewing a photo in aperture that you can select it and make it wallpaper? I would have thought that would have been standard?

Cheers,
Hazwald

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Anyone find a solution to this? My aperture library used to show up in the Wallpaper System Preference but now it can't be accessed. My iPhoto library shows up fine though. I uninstalled/reinstalled A3 and downgraded iPhoto but still nothing.

ref123

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Hi, still no answer to this?

I have kind of the same problem, my Desktop preferences does not show more than a row named Aperture that is not expandable.

In other applications like Screensaver preferences, mail ... the Aperture library shows up and i can use pictures, projects, smart albums.

Any ideas for how to solve this? I have tried to move the library, change the name, regenerate the previews ... but nothing seems to work. I have populated iPhoto with pictures and it works just fine.

Edit: Just realized that if i create a new A3 library the problem is gone. Can there be any sizelimitations? My library contains 24000+ images and the size is aprox 100GB. It is also stored on a external harddrive if that can be a factor.

Last edited:

misterpetey

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Solution

1. Select the image you want as your background
2. Go to FILE
3. Click SHOW IN FINDER
4. "Right click" on the image and click SET DESKTOP PICTURE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.