Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
TextCrab
macrumors newbie

Preparing To Copy - can this be turned off?

On my Mac, especially when copying a lot of files, the "preparing to copy" function before any copying actually takes place is too dang long. Is there any way to disable the "preparing to copy" part so that when I copy anything, it simply starts copying right away?

I don't need to the OS to guess how long the copy will take or to detect if I have enough free space. I just want to the copy to go as soon as I tell it to.
TextCrab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:53 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

How much are you copying? And how often is this happening that it would be problem? Either that or you have a slow drive that you are copying from.

You could use the terminal to copy stuff if you want.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Those are not two separate functions. It's doing that because of the size of the item(s) you are copying. A small item will be copied instantaneously, as you want. But, it's a computer, not a miracle box. It takes a long time to cook a turkey in the microwave oven also.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:34 PM   #4
wellandbusiness
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to wellandbusiness
Even if you could turn this feature off - it wouldn't achieve anything.

The preparing to copy stage of the copy process is your computer working out exactly where the files are physically located on your hard drive disks and where they will fit efficiently in the new location.

This has nothing to do with where you see the files i.e. User/Documents, but where they are really sitting on your physical disks.

Tom
wellandbusiness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:06 AM   #5
TextCrab
macrumors newbie

I see nobody has an answer to this, but I'll let you know why I asked.

Back when I asked this, I was copying 20,000+ files to a FAT32 partition on an external USB drive. (Yes, USB2). It took 39 hours for "preparing to copy" to finish, and then 48 minutes to do the actual copy.

That's why I was looking for a way to make the copy method more like Windows 98, where it doesn't get ready to copy - it just copies.
The "preparing to copy" takes way to much time.
TextCrab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:07 AM   #6
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TextCrab View Post
I see nobody has an answer to this, but I'll let you know why I asked.
Two people answered your question. Here's a third: You can't turn it off.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:25 AM   #7
astrosonic
macrumors newbie

You may use alternative feature I use all the time for similar to yours cases: open terminal and enter "cp -R <source> <target>" - it will start copying your files immediately. All you have to make sure is about a space available on your target device before making that.
astrosonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TextCrab View Post
I was looking for a way to make the copy method more like Windows 98, where it doesn't get ready to copy - it just copies.
With your obviously limited knowledge, what makes you so sure that Windows doesn't copy in much the same way, except not tell you about it? I've copied large items on Windows and sat there watching it copy for a long time. Just because there's a different animation does not mean that the process is faster. But, I've never tried an "apples to windows" comparison.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:50 AM   #9
loderunner
macrumors newbie

question answered for me.

had the same issue; Finder stuck prohibitively long (and definitely not resulting in any visibly copied files).
(NB: accessing files from a Drobo through the network and DroboShare)

but the suggestion to use cp in the terminal is much better in this respect: it soon starts copying actual files--that are visible on the disk.
I would be surprised if that would yield a worse performing HD??

this is especially appreciated if it turns out you need to take the laptop (or HD) while the process is not completed yet.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:09 AM   #10
wshyang
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
How much are you copying? And how often is this happening that it would be problem? Either that or you have a slow drive that you are copying from.

You could use the terminal to copy stuff if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Those are not two separate functions. It's doing that because of the size of the item(s) you are copying. A small item will be copied instantaneously, as you want. But, it's a computer, not a miracle box. It takes a long time to cook a turkey in the microwave oven also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Two people answered your question. Here's a third: You can't turn it off.
Goodness, I am having the exact same problem on my '10 ML MBP and what the hell exactly is this?

Some "stand round in a circle" mutual masturbatory salute to the technical excellences of the late Steve Jobs?

Finder is absolutely *horrible* and all you guys can suggest is "suck it up, that's the way it is", and even worse still make up non-existent pseudo-technical rationale on why things are so.
wshyang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshyang View Post
Finder is absolutely *horrible* and all you guys can suggest is "suck it up, that's the way it is", and even worse still make up non-existent pseudo-technical rationale on why things are so.
Lots of people have issues with Finder. If there was a solution to the OP's problem, someone would have offered it. The suggestions above to "suck it up" as you say are indeed all I have to offer if the user is staying with a Mac. That's because there isn't an alternative with the Mac OS. So, one other suggestion: if you hate Finder that much, buy a Dell and use Windows.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:13 PM   #12
sammich
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshyang View Post
salute to the technical excellences of the late Steve Jobs?
First: Steve was never a technical person.

Second: I didn't know that The Great, The One and Only Steve Jobs May His Name Live FOREVER *takes a minute of silence*

----------

wrote the Finder in it's current form.

Last edited by sammich; Dec 28, 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Oh, the forums are so clefar, merging consecutive posts
sammich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:40 PM   #13
ratsandwich
macrumors newbie

This is the typical macass response. flaming and retard responses with a dash of smartass. every time there's a question theres a bitch hovering there waiting to tell someone how they're wrong or "why would you-" or some ********. even in its just "no" it has to be smartassy.

muCommander. theres an answer. file transfer apps abound because the built in one is **** and thats an answer.

pathfinder diskorder xfile and on and on...

Oh how could you improve on perfect the fanboi says.

ill use whatever works and if it doesn't work well then its **** no matter how nice the other features are. and... **** you. that is all.
ratsandwich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:43 PM   #14
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsandwich View Post
This is the typical macass response. flaming and retard responses with a dash of smartass. every time there's a question theres a bitch hovering there waiting to tell someone how they're wrong or "why would you-" or some ********. even in its just "no" it has to be smartassy.

muCommander. theres an answer. file transfer apps abound because the built in one is **** and thats an answer.

pathfinder diskorder xfile and on and on...

Oh how could you improve on perfect the fanboi says.

ill use whatever works and if it doesn't work well then its **** no matter how nice the other features are. and... **** you. that is all.

I really can't make out what you are saying, but did you know that you bumped a thread thats years old? I know I'm bumping it further now but whatever, could you explain this in proper English?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help