Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 9, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Maxwe11
macrumors newbie

Combining Tracks in GarageBand

I hope I'm posting this in the right place (first post). So I have three songs on iTunes that are continuous. The first song leads into the second which leads into the third. I am trying to combine these three songs into one complete, continuous song with GarageBand.

I've figured out how to import the songs into GarageBand, but I can't get one song to start immediately after another one ends. At the highest magnification of the timeline, I see I can only drag the track to begin at a certain section. Since the song before it doesn't end exactly at the section, this leaves a gap between songs.

Is there any way to close the gap? Thanks in advance.
Maxwe11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2
bmcgonag
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to bmcgonag
Your image doesn't come up for me, but are you importing all three songs onto one track, or each song on it's own track?

If you import each to it's own track, you should be able to overlap the tracks a little if you want so that there is no break.
bmcgonag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Maxwe11
macrumors newbie

Sorry about that, this should work:

As you can see I'm using three separate tracks. Whether I use three tracks or combine everything onto one, I can only either overlap them or have gaps. I definitely don't want to overlap the songs, though. Even a small overlap interrupts the flow of the music.

But I've figured out that, at least for what I'm trying to do, Audacity is much easier. Thanks anyways.
Maxwe11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:42 AM   #4
jackerin
macrumors 6502a

For future reference you can just turn off snap to grid and move them around how you want.
jackerin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5
bmcgonag
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to bmcgonag
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerin View Post
For future reference you can just turn off snap to grid and move them around how you want.
jackerin has the answer...nice.
bmcgonag is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
extradryny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerin View Post
I'm trying to do exactly what the OP poster was doing - combine three songs recorded live without any (even the most minute) gap. Seems to be impossible Even with snap to grid off, you can't snap at exactly the end of the track, there is a tiny click.

Is there some kind of "snap to track" option out there?

I know I can use Audacity, but this should be something GB can do.

Thanks!
extradryny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:16 PM   #7
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Sounds to me like, in the case where you put them on the same track, the first song file has audio at the end and the second has audio at the beginning. If so, what happens is the waveforms aren't matching up at the point they're joining causing the click. You'd have to join the two files and then do a waveform edit to get rid of that click.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store