Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chipandtoast

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Is there anything I can use to make an icon for my iphone app that doesn't cost a large amount of money? It can be for Windows or Mac as I have both.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Technically if you have the time and inclination you could use MS Paint. Basically any graphics tool will work: use your favourite.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
For graphics editing, I run X11 and GIMP (free) on the same Mac I use for SDK development.

I've done at least 2 (ugly) icons for my apps that way.

My good looking icons were done by a professional graphics artist, but those icons cost $$$.

ranguvar

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2009
You could download Photoshop, it has a 30-day trial period. You could also browse the net for iPhone Winterboard themes and create an icon that just mixed together from different templates.

HarryWorksInc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
heres an idea, adobe illustrator. The main thing that sells a user to buy your app is the title and the icon because thats what they see in the app store on first glance. You need really good graphics if you want your app to be successful so i suggest simply investing some money in Illustrator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.