Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidcentipede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Okay, so I'm going to need a new laptop for college (leaving mid-august), but would like to be able to have it by about mid-summer, so I can get stuff installed, set-up, etc.

After much consideration, I'm leaning towards a 15" MBP. I'm actually going to be dual-booting Linux on whatever machine I get, and doing the majority of my work in Linux/Wine, so the whole OSX vs. Windows issue isn't THAT big of a deal for me - there is software I like on either side, but no real deal-breakers. However, I prefer the MBP form-factor, battery life, etc.

I qualify for the Education Discount, due to either a) my status as a college student, or b) my mom's job as a teacher.

I'd really like to be able to wait for the MBP updates, since right now the price is NOT worth the specs offered. However, I don't know how long I can wait.

Oh, and before you ask whether I need a MBP/updated specs - in addition to programming and software development, I'll also do a good bit of gaming, image editing, audio recording/synthing/editing, and video editing. This laptop will basically become my main computer, and will need to handle all my various hobbies.

With all of this in mind, I have a few questions:

1) When does Apple usually have a back-to-school special? What does this involve? (discounts, etc.)

2) If it does offer discounts, can they be stacked on top of the education discount?

3) How soon after being announced will the new MBPs be available/shipping?

4) Whatever updates Apple makes to the new MBPs shouldn't affect the ability to install Linux on them, right?

Thanks for the help, sorry if any of these are noob questions.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
Okay, so I'm going to need a new laptop for college (leaving mid-august), but would like to be able to have it by about mid-summer, so I can get stuff installed, set-up, etc.

After much consideration, I'm leaning towards a 15" MBP. I'm actually going to be dual-booting Linux on whatever machine I get, and doing the majority of my work in Linux/Wine, so the whole OSX vs. Windows issue isn't THAT big of a deal for me - there is software I like on either side, but no real deal-breakers. However, I prefer the MBP form-factor, battery life, etc.

I qualify for the Education Discount, due to either a) my status as a college student, or b) my mom's job as a teacher.

I'd really like to be able to wait for the MBP updates, since right now the price is NOT worth the specs offered. However, I don't know how long I can wait.

Oh, and before you ask whether I need a MBP/updated specs - in addition to programming and software development, I'll also do a good bit of gaming, image editing, audio recording/synthing/editing, and video editing. This laptop will basically become my main computer, and will need to handle all my various hobbies. I need something more than a crappy netbook/tablet for checking email and surfing the web.

With all of this in mind, I have a few questions:

1) When does Apple usually have a back-to-school special? What does this involve? (discounts, etc.)

2) If it does offer discounts, can they be stacked on top of the education discount?

3) How soon after being announced will the new MBPs be available/shipping?

4) Whatever updates Apple makes to the new MBPs shouldn't affect the ability to install Linux on them, right?

Thanks for the help, sorry if any of these are noob questions.

1) In June, usually a free iPod.

2) Yes. You can get a free iPod, and a student discount to boot.

3) Likely fairly immediate. They're probably building the stock up so they're available to ship on release day.

4) Correct. Apple's getting a ton of mileage out of bootcamp and other services.

rabidcentipede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
1) In June, usually a free iPod.

2) Yes. You can get a free iPod, and a student discount to boot.

3) Likely fairly immediate. They're probably building the stock up so they're available to ship on release day.

4) Correct. Apple's getting a ton of mileage out of bootcamp and other services.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.