Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Removes 'Rate on Delete' for Apps in iPhone 4






Rate on delete feature introduced in iPhone OS 2.2


Developers will be pleased to learn that Apple has removed a controversial "Rate on Delete" feature from iPhone 4. Starting in iPhone 2.2, when a user deleted an App from their iPhone, the operating system would as the user to rate a App using the 1-5 star rating system in the App Store. The move increased rating participation in the App Store.

However, many developers were unhappy with the system as they felt it skewed the ratings downwards. The system increased the number of ratings from customers who were presumably unhappy with an app, while those who kept an app on their iPhone would never be prompted for a rating.

Article Link: Apple Removes 'Rate on Delete' for Apps in iPhone 4
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:32 PM   #2
*LTD*
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
I never liked this myself.

However, many developers were unhappy with the system as they felt it skewed the ratings downwards.

Agreed.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
About time! My app's rating will hopefully sort its-self out now
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:32 PM   #4
VanMac
macrumors 6502a
 
VanMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rampaging Tokyo
Good move.

I think most people would rate app negative or neutral when deleting app.
__________________
17" MBP 2.6GHz C2, HDef 500GB_7200 4GB RAM
Chervic Technologies Inc.
VanMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:35 PM   #5
AriX
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Send a message via AIM to AriX Send a message via Skype™ to AriX
FINALLY - I'm surprised it took them so long to take this out. If they want to have a feature like this, they have to balance it out with good feedback by prompting users for feedback after using it for a little bit. Otherwise the ONLY feedback it'll receive is negative.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro with Retina display. iPhone 5. Mac/iOS developer.
@AriX
AriX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:35 PM   #6
ARF900
macrumors 65816
 
ARF900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I always rate an app 5 stars before I delete it, even if I dont like it. I feel like a dick if I dont.
ARF900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:37 PM   #7
unity
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Green Bay, WI
Maybe it could be a feature that can be turned on or off in the OS. And then it comes up on the 10th launch of the app or if deleted before 10th launch.
unity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:38 PM   #8
kernkraft
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Ah, I will miss this great opportunity to rate down apps that are annoying, keep crashing and so on. But in the meantime, I'm on a jailbroken iPhone 3G. WHY WOULD I UPGRADE TO 4.0?!
kernkraft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Sleazy E
macrumors 65816
 
Sleazy E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Disneyland
Great change. I disliked that annoying screen popping up. If I want to rate it I will, don't shove it in my face.
Sleazy E is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:47 PM   #10
*LTD*
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Ah, I will miss this great opportunity to rate down apps that are annoying, keep crashing and so on. But in the meantime, I'm on a jailbroken iPhone 3G. WHY WOULD I UPGRADE TO 4.0?!
You do understand why jailbreaking is probably not a good idea for most people, right?
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:49 PM   #11
ipedro
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF900 View Post
I always rate an app 5 stars before I delete it, even if I dont like it. I feel like a dick if I dont.
I think that you're doing the wrong thing by doing that. You're contributing to tricking people into buying an app because it has a good rating when you must have deleted it because you didn't like it.

Be honest and rate it what it's worth.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Pro 17" 2009 | iPhone5 | iPad Air | tv | Time Capsule
ipedro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:51 PM   #12
bindle
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Good move. As convenient as it makes rating an app, it is definitely skewed towards low ratings as people deleting apps most likely don't like the app.
And I too found myself sometimes giving 1 stars, purely because I didn't like the popup - I was rating the annoyance of the rating dialog, not the app - bad, i know :P
bindle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:57 PM   #13
rumplestiltskin
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Totally agree with this decision. If the function included the ability to post a meaningful opinion and back it up with examples (like a regular rating at the App Store would permit), that would be a different story.

I download lots of free apps and, if I delete them because it just wasn't right for me, it wouldn't be fair to post any sort of "rating upon exit".
rumplestiltskin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Deelron
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I'd prefer if they disabled it by default but moved it into the settings of the phone (to be enabled by the user, if desired), sometimes I grow out of an app (or just bored with it) and enjoy rating it on the way out without having to go through the regular rating process.
Deelron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:00 PM   #15
applesupergeek
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindle View Post
Good move. As convenient as it makes rating an app, it is definitely skewed towards low ratings as people deleting apps most likely don't like the app.
You are skewing logic here...

If people delete the app as you say most likely don't like it, so they should be able to give it a low rating. Why is this skewing towards low ratings? The apps that are liked and not deleted, don't get bad ratings, but the ones that are deleted, get the bad ratings. If these apps were any good, they would not be deleted and they wouldn't be getting bad ratings? So, ultimately the good apps that are not deleted get the better grades, and those that do get deleted the worst.

I think this not only does not skew ratings, it rectifies them.

Moronic reporting by macrumors too, who take this biased view without any criticism. This does decrease overall ratings, but it doesn't skew them in any way. The good apps don't get deleted and don't get the bad rating, simple as that, the bad ones do, and deservedly so.

This is a bad move, because now, an app can be very unsatisfactory and it can be deleted by many iphone users, yet none of them will be prompted to rate it, and so give the negative feedback back to the community. Only if the user is really motivated, and the app is atrocious will they explicitly go to the app store and rate it...

Bad, Bad move, now all those third rate apps that we delete from our phones won't get a just low rating, and they will escape for some other poor schmuck to download unbeknownst to them.
applesupergeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:03 PM   #16
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: --Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
One less irritating pop up
__________________
This is a RUMOR site For speculation and discussion.Not a Fan-Club. Just because we are interested in Apple rumors it doesn't mean we should be frothing at the mouth with Apple rabid comments.
Mr. Gates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:03 PM   #17
applesupergeek
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
Totally agree with this decision. If the function included the ability to post a meaningful opinion and back it up with examples (like a regular rating at the App Store would permit), that would be a different story.

I download lots of free apps and, if I delete them because it just wasn't right for me, it wouldn't be fair to post any sort of "rating upon exit".
What is this thread? A competition on who will post the most inane comment? Just look at the damn pop up man, you don't have to rate it, you can click no thanks and be done with it....
applesupergeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:05 PM   #18
boxstboy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
You do understand why jailbreaking is probably not a good idea for most people, right?
Why don't you tell us why? I've been jailbroken for over a year and I love it.
boxstboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:09 PM   #19
Friscohoya
macrumors 6502a
 
Friscohoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oaktown
Good idea in thought but not in practice.
Friscohoya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:10 PM   #20
bananafranco
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cologne / Frankfurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindle View Post
Good move. As convenient as it makes rating an app, it is definitely skewed towards low ratings as people deleting apps most likely don't like the app.
And I too found myself sometimes giving 1 stars, purely because I didn't like the popup - I was rating the annoyance of the rating dialog, not the app - bad, i know :P
Indeed a stupid behaviour. Like applesupergeek says: There's the No, Thanks button. It'll save you one touch
bananafranco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:11 PM   #21
Beric
macrumors 68020
 
Beric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
You do understand why jailbreaking is probably not a good idea for most people, right?
I've heard estimates before that of 10%+ of the iPod touch/iPhone userbase has jailbroken their devices. And that's purely from word of mouth contact, with Apple strictly forbidding it. It's SO EASY to do, that tons of people are doing it. I've been using backgrounding, quick setting changes (a swipe of the top bar, and you can turn on and off WiFi, location, etc.) and lots of other useful customization and convenience features. Anyone can do it, and it's so useful.
__________________
HP Envy 14: Intel i5 450m | 4GB DDR3 | ATI 5650 | 14.5" 1600x900 | Win 7
Core i7 Rig: Intel i7 720 2.66GHz | 6GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX 465 | 24" 1920x1200 | Win 7
iPt 3G
iPod touch 4G 64GB
Beric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:12 PM   #22
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Good riddance! While Apple has some wonderful UI designs, this one was a big mistake. I have noticed several skewed distributions where you have a high peak of single star ratings and another peak in the five to four star ratings. If you are deleting an app, odds are you are getting rid of it for a reason. The only way to balance this out would be the rating prompt come up during a specific period of use such at five to ten minutes of execution time to let satisfied users express their opinion.
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:13 PM   #23
redkamel
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesupergeek View Post
If people delete the app as you say most likely don't like it, so they should be able to give it a low rating. Why is this skewing towards low ratings? The apps that are liked and not deleted, don't get bad ratings, but the ones that are deleted, get the bad ratings. If these apps were any good, they would not be deleted and they wouldn't be getting bad ratings?
It skews the ratings because it makes it more likely for people who dislike (or even marginally dislike) the app to rate it.

In long terms:
it skews the ratings because you give more of opportunity to rate from one population (people who delete the app) than another (people who don't delete the app). These populations are not the same; one is more likely to dislike the app right? They deleted it. So it is makes it more likely for negative reviews to be turned in than positive ones.

Its like conducting a survey of a movie by specifically targeting all the people who walk out in the middle, then leaving the rest of the surveys for whoever wants to pick one up on the way out.
redkamel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:13 PM   #24
*LTD*
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstboy View Post
Why don't you tell us why? I've been jailbroken for over a year and I love it.
For most users jail-breaking their device is a Really Bad Idea™. First of all, it's a violation of Apple's IP, which is totally understandable. The phone is intended to work a certain way, and it's popular and successful precisely because it works in that way. All the time. For everyone. Secondly, jail-breaking opens up the average user (the biggest segment of the market) to unfamiliar territory that presents a learning curve, one which they would naturally rather avoid and just rush into it. This will result in support issues and usability complaints, much of which will be too disjointed and varied to address correctly during support/service calls, not to mention voided warranties and possible refusal of service.

So jail-breaking is nice, but for most users the risk would outweigh the benefits
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:17 PM   #25
johnnyhow
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
As an app buyer, I want to let you app developers know that I put more weight on user feed back than on the star rating system because it's clear that a lot of people don't know whether 1 star is the top rating, or 5. So often I've seen comments that give 1 star but are in fact praising the app.

As for the 'rate to delete' option, I almost always clicked no thanks, unless I felt the quality was really shoddy (and believe me, there's a lot of trash in the app store).
johnnyhow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How safe is it to delete Apple-installed default apps? vlark PowerPC Macs 7 Apr 21, 2014 05:27 PM
HELP! How do I delete APPs on my iPhone using iTunes 11.1? hassiman iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Mar 2, 2014 08:45 AM
Allthingsd: Apps on iPhone 5s Crashing at Twice the Rate as on Other iPhone 5 Models gto55 iPhone 1 Oct 12, 2013 03:50 PM
iPhone 5 wont delete apps!!! HELP! debydeb iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Aug 30, 2013 07:53 PM
iOS 6 Beta Removes Requirement to Enter Password to Download Free Apps and Upgrades [Updated] MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 97 Jul 25, 2012 10:03 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC