Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: How long does it take you to load the listed YouTube video?
Less than one minute 18 72.00%
Two to three minutes 4 16.00%
Four to five minutes 2 8.00%
Six to seven minutes 1 4.00%
Eight minutes or more 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:39 AM   #1
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040
 
MythicFrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
iPad WiFi speed test benchmark

To test your iPad WiFi speed open this video on your iPad in YouTube.
Once it has fully buffered (loaded) make note of how long it took and then vote in the poll.

The video is in SD (the only option) and goes for 2:33.
__________________
(Log Book Buddy) - (Quick Kana)
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:42 AM   #2
gibbz
macrumors 68030
 
gibbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: National Weather Center
Send a message via AIM to gibbz
This video took me a few seconds to load.
__________________
64GB Space Gray WiFi iPad Air 2x Apple TV (1080p) 32GB Black iPhone 5
MP 8x2.8/16GB MP 8x2.93/32GB/2x24" apple: MBA 1.7/8GB/256GB
Jeremy Gibbs | Gibbz
gibbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:45 AM   #3
MythicFrost
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
MythicFrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
That movie wouldn't load for me. Says not allowed in my country.
__________________
(Log Book Buddy) - (Quick Kana)
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:49 AM   #4
mbell75
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
1 min 34 seconds to fully load that UP video.

Just did it again and it downloaded in 1 min 6 secs this time

Last edited by mbell75; Apr 11, 2010 at 04:03 AM.
mbell75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:22 AM   #5
Dr Gonzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
You can't use Youtube as a benchmark because the videos utilize different servers, etc. The video in question took under 20 sec to buffer on my iPad.
Dr Gonzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:34 AM   #6
Capt T
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
You can't use Youtube as a benchmark because the videos utilize different servers, etc. The video in question took under 20 sec to buffer on my iPad.


Not only that but people have different ISPs with different speeds as well as ping.
Capt T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:50 AM   #7
HXGuy
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
37 seconds.
HXGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:59 AM   #8
mooblie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
What has this to do with iPad WiFi speed?
__________________
Martin at HeadSpin HD now on Blu-ray
mooblie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:10 AM   #9
Dammit Cubs
macrumors 65816
 
Dammit Cubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
This test is based on everyones network connection. This a moving variable that causes you to have inconsistent quantatitave values to lead to a justifiable conclusion.

In other words.......FAIL
__________________
32GB Galaxy Nexus LTE Version
32GB wifi NEW iPad with Retina!!
2.4GHz 2010 Mac Mini
2012 15'' Macbook Pro 2.3/8/256 SSD with Retina
Dammit Cubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Dr Gonzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt T View Post
Not only that but people have different ISPs with different speeds as well as ping.
True.
__________________
Posted from my  iPad
 iPad, 9.7", A4 1GHz, 256MB RAM, PowerVR SGX 535 + VXD375, 64GB SSD
Dr Gonzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:55 AM   #11
laokai
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
There is no option for 1-2 min...
laokai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:03 AM   #12
oftheheavens
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: cherry point
on my imac i7 it stopped at 27sec

i am in japan though, and i think that is why all video stutters out here for me. (american based videos that is)
oftheheavens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:07 AM   #13
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
You forgot the "less than 2 seconds" box.
__________________
Waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll be in perpetual waiting - because the latest and greatest is always around the corner.
Saturation-Wise, Situation-Wise.
Mitchrapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:47 AM   #14
paduck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicFrost View Post
To test your iPad WiFi speed open this video on your iPad in YouTube.
Once it has fully buffered (loaded) make note of how long it took and then vote in the poll.

The video is in SD (the only option) and goes for 2:33.
To really test your WIFI speed, use the Speedtest.net app. It's free and you can get it at the iTunes store. It will tell you what speed you are getting on your iPad across the Internet from your router - which is really what you want to know. I get 7 megabits on my original iPhone across the house, which is pretty good - never as much as 8, even from 3 feet away. My hardwired computer gets 20 megabits, which is about the ISP line spec.

The above "test" might tell you a couple of things, but there are so many variables, it isn't really a "test" of your iPad WIFI.

Xtremelabs has an iPhone app as well for iPhone that should work on the iPad. It gives me results that are slower than Speedtest.net (other people get higher results). I'm not sure why. But regardless, you could find a lower-end network speed by using the two for comparison.
__________________
Proud owner of every Apple product line since 1978.
paduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paduck View Post
To really test your WIFI speed, use the Speedtest.net app. It's free and you can get it at the iTunes store. It will tell you what speed you are getting on your iPad across the Internet from your router - which is really what you want to know. I get 7 megabits on my original iPhone across the house, which is pretty good - never as much as 8, even from 3 feet away. My hardwired computer gets 20 megabits, which is about the ISP line spec.

The above "test" might tell you a couple of things, but there are so many variables, it isn't really a "test" of your iPad WIFI.

Xtremelabs has an iPhone app as well for iPhone that should work on the iPad. It gives me results that are slower than Speedtest.net (other people get higher results). I'm not sure why. But regardless, you could find a lower-end network speed by using the two for comparison.
I ran that, DL speed is what I'd expect but the upload speed was even faster which is weird.
__________________
Waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll be in perpetual waiting - because the latest and greatest is always around the corner.
Saturation-Wise, Situation-Wise.
Mitchrapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:56 AM   #16
MythicFrost
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
MythicFrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
My benchmark broken It didn't occur to me that YouTube uses different servers and thus is not a good benchmark.

Perhaps Apple.com is my suitable for my next one lol.
Quote:
To really test your WIFI speed, use the Speedtest.net app. It's free and you can get it at the iTunes store. It will tell you what speed you are getting on your iPad across the Internet from your router - which is really what you want to know. I get 7 megabits on my original iPhone across the house, which is pretty good - never as much as 8, even from 3 feet away. My hardwired computer gets 20 megabits, which is about the ISP line spec.

The above "test" might tell you a couple of things, but there are so many variables, it isn't really a "test" of your iPad WIFI.

Xtremelabs has an iPhone app as well for iPhone that should work on the iPad. It gives me results that are slower than Speedtest.net (other people get higher results). I'm not sure why. But regardless, you could find a lower-end network speed by using the two for comparison.
I get 1.5MB/s which is roughly ~12MBPS (megabits) on my iPhone, but the speed of the iPhone is never that.
Quote:
Not only that but people have different ISPs with different speeds as well as ping.
I am aware of that, I'm looking to see if any or multiple people get 5-6+ minutes. I'm finding the general speed, even though everyone does have different internet speeds.
Quote:
This test is based on everyones network connection. This a moving variable that causes you to have inconsistent quantatitave values to lead to a justifiable conclusion.

In other words.......FAIL
I am aware of that...
__________________
(Log Book Buddy) - (Quick Kana)
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:05 AM   #17
kirchnrd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Don't know if it is a fact, but keep hearing that the YouTube app plays video at the highest quality. I have crap DSL and would LOVE to choose the video quality through the app. Maybe a future update? Probably not since most people don't have crap phone companies like Embarq that say living 2 miles from downtown is too far away to push a DSL signal.

Sorry, that bitch session needs to be in another forum...
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 32GB iPhone 4S iPod Nano iPad 32GB WiFi on the way!
kirchnrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: iPad air wifi speed test- mimo capabilities Jades iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 12:52 PM
Benchmark only read speed without write speed? caspersoong Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Oct 24, 2013 07:47 AM
iPhone 5 slow wifi but speed test says otherwise ashenfang iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 6 Nov 22, 2012 06:00 AM
WiFi Speed Test Ry. iOS 6 0 Sep 25, 2012 06:41 AM
Test iPad network speed hehe299792458 iOS 5 and earlier 0 Sep 11, 2012 05:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC