|Apr 11, 2010, 06:19 AM||#1|
iPod does not show up in Itunes - How to restore?
I have an issue that is affecting my iPod/iTunes and I am looking for help. I googled hard but all reports I found seem to be different from the ones I am experiencing.
Affected HW and SW:
iPod classic 160GB, FAT32 formatted
Mac OS X 10.6.3 + iTunes 9.1 (79)
I have a 160GB iPod which is formatted with FAT32. As long as I used this with iTunes and PC and I had no problems. The iPod is still working and playing fine.
Recently I bought a Mac and I transfered all iTune contents to the new Mac. Of course, since I was switching to Mac, it would be convenient to restore the iPod using HFS+. However, this is has been more tricky than I was expecting.
1. When I connect the iPod to the Mac, iTunes starts at once, but it does take a long time (>1 minute) to the main iTunes window to show up. When it finally does, the iPod does not show up in the iTunes source window as it should. However, I am able to connect other iPods to the iTunes and they work fine, so iTunes seems to be OK.
2. The iPod appears in the Finder, and I can browse the directory structure without any apparent problem (I used the iPod on the PC for some small backups and carrying on data, and this is OK).
3. Checking /var/log/kernel.log, I find "disk2s1: I/O error" messages. I confirmed with mount that the disk2s1 volume is the iPod one.
4. Using the Disk Utility, I attempted a Verify disk. I got an error "Unable to read directory (Input/Output error) [...] Click repair disk".
5. When repairing, I get a message "Volume repair complete", but immediately after I get "Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."
Given this, it seems that I am dead-locked here:
1. According to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1410, the ipod not showing in iTunes may be due to "Your iPod hard disk's format is damaged or was altered - If you reformatted the hard disk on your iPod, or if something has damaged or altered the disk's format, iTunes or the Finder may not recognize iPod. To resolve this issue, restore iPod."
2. However the linked instructions to restore Ipod in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1339 assume that the iPod is showing up in iTunes… What it does not happen.
I could try to reformat the disk in HFS+ using Disk Utility and try a restore afterward, but all pointers that i read state "never attempt to do that" (???).
Last but not least, of course I tried almost everything suggested by Apple (change USB port, updating software, etc, etc…).
Thanks a lot for any hint or suggestion,
|Apr 11, 2010, 10:28 AM||#2|
iPod Nano 2nd gen: will not mount, no way no how. So... trash can? Paperweight?
Sorry. Meant to start a new post not reply. It's too early...
Last edited by quantum003; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: I suck
|Jun 28, 2010, 06:15 AM||#4|
Old thread... although to restore your iPod hold down the centre button and menu button (or centre and play/pause) for about 20 seconds and that should work. Plug in to iTunes and click restore. Don't mess around with disk utility on your iPod since that might really destroy something crucial.
24" iMac, 3GHz, 15" MacBook Pro quad
iPod Classic, iPod Nano, Apple TV
iPhone since release of original
|Jun 28, 2010, 09:57 AM||#5|
Thanks for the reply... unfortunately does nothing... iPod works fine and turns up in the Finder every time, but won't turn up in iTunes no matter which version I install. Don't know how to restore iPod without using iTunes... Don't care about losing all currently installed songs - all I really use it for is to listen to podcasts.
Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|iTunes library corrupted. Can I restore from iPod Classic?||Bosco1950||iPod||6||Oct 16, 2014 12:46 AM|
|iTunes Match Removes "Show iTunes in the Cloud" Purchases||bedifferent||iCloud and Apple Services||1||May 12, 2013 01:33 AM|
|ipod nano 6th gen working but iTunes prompts for restore||brandontod97||iPod||0||May 3, 2013 08:50 AM|
|Difference iTunes restore vs DFU mode restore||Grolubao||iPhone||1||Jan 31, 2013 05:53 PM|
|iPod Classic won't show playlists after adding music with iTunes?||php111||iPod||0||Oct 10, 2012 02:23 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.