Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Mic'sBook
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
How do I save streaming QuickTime video?

This is an Apple Special Event (2005) video: http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/o...nt_all_ref.mov

*from this thread:
- How do I capture streaming QT? - Mac Forums (2005 thread)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=154562

The problem is that how I can save the entire QuickTime video that is being streamed rather than those 'pointer files' in few KB. (Those pointer files are also ended with '.mov' extension)

Googled and found:
- Recording WWDC Quicktime Stream - Mac Forums (2003 thread)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=30478

- (SOLVED) Save Quicktime Stream - Mac Forums (2007 thread)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354516

Even though I use the export function in QT Pro 7 (I'm using Snow Leopard and have QuickTime Pro 7 installed),
I still can't save the QuickTime video that is being streamed no matter what their formats are:
.mov -> still pointer files in few KB
.mp4 -> While being exported to .mp4, the CPU usage is very high. After 10 min., I can only get a white screen that won't play at all with no sound in 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9 ratio of that streaming QT video.

Thanks in advance!
Mic'sBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2
PeggyD
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Covington/Lake Morton, WA, USA
I subscribe to the podcasts of Apple special events in iTunes. Once the podcast is downloaded, you can watch it in iTunes or right-click on it in iTunes & show in Finder then copy it to where ever you'd like.
PeggyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Mic'sBook
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyD View Post
I subscribe to the podcasts of Apple special events in iTunes. Once the podcast is downloaded, you can watch it in iTunes or right-click on it in iTunes & show in Finder then copy it to where ever you'd like.
Thanks for your reply!
But it seems that those Apple events provided in iTunes are after the year 2007 (Macworld 2007), so that method won't work.

Any replies are welcomed!
Mic'sBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Mic'sBook
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
-BUMP- nearly 3 months, still no replies...

Any reply is welcomed!
Mic'sBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:18 PM   #5
deadwulfe
macrumors 6502a
 
deadwulfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Have you tried viewing the movie in Safari, then opening up the Window -> Activity window (I think that's the name of it, not on my Mac atm) and then right-clicking (or Opt+Double-click) on the largest file to save to your computer?
deadwulfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6
mattymaky
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Recording streaming tv

Not sure if this helps.
But recently I discovered a way to record a live stream from my mac to be later played and watched on my Apple TV.
I play the live stream on my iMac then record the screen using Screenflow. Then I export from screen flow, there are various options for you to export to, one being Apple TV.
Voila I synch with my Apple TV and I can watch it in the comfort of my sofa.
NB:
You will need to enlarge the screen before export so that the playing screen actually fills the whole screen in screen flow otherwise you will be watching a tiny screen in the middle of your big TV.

Hope that helps some people
mattymaky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Mic'sBook
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwulfe View Post
Have you tried viewing the movie in Safari, then opening up the Window -> Activity window (I think that's the name of it, not on my Mac atm) and then right-clicking (or Opt+Double-click) on the largest file to save to your computer?
Thanks for your reply!
But that doesn't work.
As the Activity window won't show up the file size next to the URLs listed there,
and the URLs are the same as the link (http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/o...nt_all_ref.mov), not what the pointer file points to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymaky View Post
Not sure if this helps.
But recently I discovered a way to record a live stream from my mac to be later played and watched on my Apple TV.
I play the live stream on my iMac then record the screen using Screenflow. Then I export from screen flow, there are various options for you to export to, one being Apple TV.
Voila I synch with my Apple TV and I can watch it in the comfort of my sofa.
NB:
You will need to enlarge the screen before export so that the playing screen actually fills the whole screen in screen flow otherwise you will be watching a tiny screen in the middle of your big TV.

Hope that helps some people
Thanks for your reply!
Although the time needed for screen recording is 1:1 to the video being played, that may be an alternative solution to the problem!
Mic'sBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I save QuickTime video from iMovie to flash drive TabBaldwin Digital Video 5 Feb 4, 2014 10:09 AM
Mavericks Quicktime 10.3 breaks RTSP streaming aaroncon OS X Mavericks (10.9) 4 Nov 8, 2013 10:11 AM
iPhone: Streaming MP3's skipping in QuickTime with iOS 6 TSFfan iOS 6 5 Feb 11, 2013 04:56 PM
how to save streaming .ram file to HD inscrewtable Mac Basics and Help 0 Oct 18, 2012 03:33 AM
Choppy Video When Compressed...Quicktime Movie is fine, Quicktime Conversion No-Go techie4life Digital Video 1 Sep 17, 2012 09:38 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC