Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Hello everybody,

I'm a 'newbee' on mac's and I would like some help on the following matter:

I've been trying to copy and paste stuff from one folder to another, but no luck. I've tried copying with the 'apple' and 'alt' keys pressed simultaneously but the outcome is just an alias.
I know it must be pretty easy and basic thing to do but at the moment I'm stuck :-(

Any help will be truly appreciated.

Regards
J.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
cmd + c =copy

cmd + v =paste

cmd is the button beside the space bar btw.

that might not be what you're asking for but that's how I took it.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
You can't really cut and paste files like you can on windows. The way to do it on a Mac is to drag and drop the file. Basically, drag the file and hold it over whichever folder you want to put it in. After a second or so, the folder will open, allowing you to see what's inside. You can then either drop the file in the folder, or repeat the process with another folder within the first one....make sense?

iSaint

macrumors 603
or cmd = apple key

Mac OS takes some getting used to, but once you spend a few days with it, you really start to appreciate the simplicity of it all. Plus, IT JUST WORKS!

Another cool thing is when you highlight text, you can drag it wherever you need...like a web address.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
If you drag a file from one folder to another, it will be moved to the new folder. Holding down the option key while dragging will make a copy of the file in the new folder.

With the finder window open you can also hold down the ctrl key and click on a file and then choose copy from the contextual menu that pops up or choose copy from the edit menu.

If you have a two button mouse, right-clicking will provide the same contextual menu options as ctrl-clicking does.

hth m

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Remeber most of the Windows shortcuts are the same on the mac. Just replace the control key with the apple key and it works.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Actually, pressing Apple + C doesn't work sometimes. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem reliable. Sometimes I'll copy a file, go to the location where I want to paste, and press Apple + V to paste, and nothing is pasted. However, sometimes it'll work if I go to EDIT menu and select copy through there, but that's not a sure thing, either. A sure bet is drag and drop, like Gee said, but its not as convenient so I don't see why that should be the main way of doing things when its slower.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I've noticed that as well abstract, but I've found if the file you copy&pasted doesn't show up by double clicking inside the folder you pasted to the file will show up. well that is from my own experiences.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
thanks for the info!

I did it by holding down the option key and dragging the file in a new folder.

thanks for all the info though :)

regards
J.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.