Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
lancesquestions
macrumors newbie

Angry How To Sync Macbook Pro with iMac desktop

Hi,

I have spoken to a bunch of tech support and sales people at Apple and no one can tell me definitively how to sync all my files on a regular basis between my 2006 iMac 20" desktop and my new Macbook Pro 17" that I'm thinking of buying.
I know I can do the initial migrate from my desktop to my MBP. But How do I sync it on a daily basis. For instance, if I make some changes to some files on my laptop and make changes to different files on my desktop, I would like to be able to connect the two and for software to be able to detect that I changed some files on each and cross-update all those files so both my laptop and my desktop have the latest versions of all the files. (i'm looking for more than just address book and calendar etc...that you can do with mobile me).

Thank you
lancesquestions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:05 PM   #2
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Check out a piece of software called Chronosync. It's not the easiest to setup, but it can be made to do what you want to do.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
lancesquestions
macrumors newbie

Thanks - looks interesting. Is it the best sync software available? Does it do exactly what it should 99.99% of the time?
lancesquestions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:17 PM   #4
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

I don't have much personal experience using it, but I see it mentioned frequently as a suggestion for people in your situation.

Do a forum search here for ChronoSync. I'm pretty sure you'll find some threads with folks that use it regularly.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Relznuk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
I don't have much personal experience using it, but I see it mentioned frequently as a suggestion for people in your situation.

Do a forum search here for ChronoSync. I'm pretty sure you'll find some threads with folks that use it regularly.
I use it myself. It works extremely well.
Relznuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro