Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1
clank72
macrumors regular

Can my MacBook be used as a Speaker too?

I have 2 Apple TV's in the house and I can easily stream music to them using one computer with itunes. But is there a way to send music to another laptop or desktop?

Thanks in advance,
clank72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:28 PM   #2
DigitalRhino
macrumors newbie

I think the program airfoil will do what you need.
DigitalRhino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:00 AM   #3
clank72
macrumors regular

Thanks!
clank72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:27 AM   #4
fpnc
macrumors 68000

If you just need to send or play audio from computer to computer you can use the sharing features in iTunes 9.X (both computers must be on the same local network). iTunes 9.X allows you to view and play audio and video files that exist on another computer (it's called Home Sharing). Here is Apple's own knowledge base article on Home Sharing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819

However, if you want to send audio from the Apple TV to another computer then you need something that can stand in place of Apple's AirPort Express or another Apple TV. I'm not aware of any software-only solution that will do the latter (that is, allow a Mac/PC to receive audio over a network FROM an Apple TV). In any case, here is Apple's knowledge base article on using AirTunes with the Apple TV:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3291?viewlocale=en_US
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater