Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1
shingi70
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Which pair of beats (dr. Dre)should i buy?

I'm planning on buying a pair of beats earphones. I'm not sure but i was going to get a black pair of the lady GaGa ones in black, as they're the cheapest and most stylish. (I'm a 17 year old guy). I just picking these as i need a good sounding reliable pair of earphones. I plane to get either the Studio or SoloHD headphones with a macbook pro next year.


Any other good altervatives would help.
shingi70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604
 
thegoldenmackid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: dallas, texas
Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
1. What kind of music (and others) would you use these to listen to?
2. What is your source? (e.g. MacBook Pro, iPhone, etc)
3. What kind of environment are you using them in?
4. What is your budget?
5. What do you currently own and what's wrong with said pair?

These are all important questions. But... the short answer is you probably are going to find better sound at a lower price elsewhere.

If you are going to wear these around your neck like a clothing accessory, then you are headed in the right direction.
__________________
thegoldenmackid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:07 AM   #3
amk1369
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I'm biased - but I always tell people not to buy in-ear headphones, unless they're willing to spend the money to get custom-made, properly shaped ones. The reason for this is simply that everyone's ear canal is different, so comfort can become an issue. But that aside, I firmly believe that they are terrible for your ears. The sound is blowing right into your ear drum, and people have a tendency to turn these up really loud. Not to mention that I rarely come across a pair of earphones that I like the sound of. If you're planning on getting a higher-end pair of real cans next year anyways, then just spend the money now. Why spend $120 now, and $300 a year from now, when you could just spend the $300? If cost is an issue, I've been using a pair of AKG K 77's for about a year and a bit now, and for the price I paid (less then $100 CDN), they sound great.
__________________
24" Aluminum iMac, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 640GB HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Logic Studio Pro, PreSonus AudioBoxUSB, Roland RD-700 Keyboard; 2x KRK RP-5 Monitors; 16GB iPhone 3GS; 2GB iPod Shuffle
amk1369 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Benguitar
macrumors 65816
 
Benguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I'm a 17 year old guy and I have the black Heartbeats.

Sound great.

But they won't stay in my ears if I glued them..

I put V-Moda buds on them and that helped, But one of my ears is bigger than the other so I gotta change sizes and mix-n-match.


So you may not have luck with the supplied buds.

I like the look of the over ear ones, But honestly it's your call. You can probably get some nice replacement buds for cheap if you want the GaGa's.
__________________
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy." -M.R.
Benguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:27 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk1369 View Post
If cost is an issue, I've been using a pair of AKG K 77's for about a year and a bit now, and for the price I paid (less then $100 CDN), they sound great.
I have a pair of AKG K77 and also a pair of AKG K240. The K240 are dramatically, and no-question better. The K240 are currently on sale for $99.99 and Sweetwater.

I think the K240 is the #1 most used headphone in recording studios for the past 20+ years. They've become a standard.

If you need an in-ear phone for listening to an iPod in the gym Get the Sony EX71 for about $30.

PS. My only use for the K77 is with a digital piano. They block external noise better than the K240 and I don't need high-end sound quality for piano practise.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604
 
thegoldenmackid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: dallas, texas
Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk1369 View Post
I'm biased - but I always tell people not to buy in-ear headphones, unless they're willing to spend the money to get custom-made, properly shaped ones. The reason for this is simply that everyone's ear canal is different, so comfort can become an issue.
I agree with the rest of what you said, but as someone who owns quite a few universal IEMs and two custom IEMS, there are some that make the difference negligible. Companies like Westone and Shure offer the foam inserts that mold to one's ear, that being said the triple-flange option on both is what I use and find there to be little difference as compared to my custom IEMs.
__________________
thegoldenmackid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:55 PM   #7
amk1369
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I have a pair of AKG K77 and also a pair of AKG K240. The K240 are dramatically, and no-question better. The K240 are currently on sale for $99.99 and Sweetwater.
Wow, that's a good deal. I've been wanting to upgrade the 77's for a while now, and I was looking at the 271's (expensive)...but with the dollar pretty much at parity, that deal for the 240's is ridiculous. Thanks for alerting us to that!
__________________
24" Aluminum iMac, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 640GB HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Logic Studio Pro, PreSonus AudioBoxUSB, Roland RD-700 Keyboard; 2x KRK RP-5 Monitors; 16GB iPhone 3GS; 2GB iPod Shuffle
amk1369 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Alvi
macrumors 65816
 
Alvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mars
Don't get the In ear ones, they're pretty expansive for what they do, they might be good, but you're paying for the design, it's not worth it, I'd rather get the Studio or Solo HD

But if i were you I'd get some Bose QuietComfort 15 Noise Cancelling, they're 49$ cheaper than the Studio ones, and they're better as long as you don't get in ear ones, buy any of those Three, if i were you I'd get the Bose ones, since this is quite a lot of money to spend or waste on quality because of the looks, however the beats are really nice too
__________________
15" rMacBook Pro i7 - 16GB - GT 750M + iPhone 5S 32GB + iPad Air LTE 128GB
Windows: i7-4770k - 16GB - GTX 780 - BitFenix Prodigy PC
Alvi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:52 PM   #9
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604
 
thegoldenmackid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: dallas, texas
Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvi View Post
Don't get the In ear ones, they're pretty expansive for what they do, they might be good, but you're paying for the design, it's not worth it, I'd rather get the Studio or Solo HD

But if i were you I'd get some Bose QuietComfort 15 Noise Cancelling, they're 49$ cheaper than the Studio ones, and they're better as long as you don't get in ear ones, buy any of those Three, if i were you I'd get the Bose ones, since this is quite a lot of money to spend or waste on quality because of the looks, however the beats are really nice too
Perhaps this thread, in particular this rant might help the debate. Both companies charge a ridiculous amount. You are paying for the headphones advertising.
__________________
thegoldenmackid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:26 PM   #10
newuser2310
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
Perhaps this thread, in particular this rant might help the debate. Both companies charge a ridiculous amount. You are paying for the headphones advertising.
newuser2310 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:09 PM   #11
shingi70
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
1. What kind of music (and others) would you use these to listen to?
2. What is your source? (e.g. MacBook Pro, iPhone, etc)
3. What kind of environment are you using them in?
4. What is your budget?
5. What do you currently own and what's wrong with said pair?

These are all important questions. But... the short answer is you probably are going to find better sound at a lower price elsewhere.

If you are going to wear these around your neck like a clothing accessory, then you are headed in the right direction.
1. Lady GaGa,Kid Cudi, Chiddy Bang, The Dead weather, Coldplay, Nirvana, justice. Mostly Hip-Hop,Rock,Techno, some instumental and soundtrack music.

2. Ipod 3rd genShuffle, PC,

3. Listening on trips, best audio quality.

4. $77.00 (but birthday is in a month and i'm getting a part time job for extra spending money.

5. Ipod headphones that came with shuffle. Mostly just use to workout.
shingi70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:15 PM   #12
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604
 
thegoldenmackid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: dallas, texas
Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
The Beats aren't even close to your budget.

Staying within your budget. If you are looking for headphones, I'd recommend the Panasonic RP-HTX7s. If you are looking for earphones, something like the thinksound rains come to mind.

Both are relatively clean, but a tad bit bass heavy. (The Panasonics a tad bit more then the thinksounds.)
__________________
thegoldenmackid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC