Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Almost as soon as we were ushered into the age of modern driving with the invention of the automobile we entered the age of distracted driving with the inventions of shiny things to keep us distracted: let it be the car radio or more recently the cell phone. Recent research by the National Safety Council on distracted driving has shown that cell phone usage when driving can cause a driver to miss up to 50% of the information collected in their driving environment, and that hands-free cell phones do not provide any safety benefit when driving. For more, read the NSC's white paper (pdf link).

All of this research as well as public recognition of the problem (did you notice the question by a reporter during the Q&A section of last Thursday's iPhone OS Media Event?) has led a number of developers to create technological solutions to the problem. One of the solutions is "izup" by Illume Software, currently available for Blackberry, Android and Windows Mobile, with versions under development for quick messaging devices and the iPhone. In an interview with MacRumors, Mark Thirman, Vice President of Business Development for Illume Software, explained the appeal of such applications.

Put yourself in the mindset of a parent or an employer. You really want to reduce the risk for our children or your employees while they're driving.

izup works by detecting when its host device is traveling at a speed greater than 5 mph, then sending incoming calls to voicemail and making only select "white-listed" phone numbers available for out-bound calling. When an emergency number is dialed, a notification can be sent to the account holder (i.e., parent, employer) with the device's location. All SMS texts are also blocked as well as other apps, although there is an app whitelist meant for navigation apps.

With the announcement of iPhone OS 4, Thirman says that an iPhone version of the application is now possible, and that it wouldn't be "just a port". The company is even evaluating whether using iAds would be beneficial to subsidize the cost (currently $4.95 per month for other platforms with volume discounts available).

The iPhone version of izup is scheduled to be released alongside iPhone OS 4 this summer.

Article Link: Distracted Driving Dev Anticipates iPhone OS 4 Release

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If they decide to go ahead with the iPhone app, and with iAds, wouldn't the ads be another potential distraction to the driver?

I use the ultimate safety system. I always let a passenger have my phone when I'm the driver.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
If they decide to go ahead with the iPhone app, and with iAds, wouldn't the ads be another potential distraction to the driver?

I use the ultimate safety system. I always let a passenger have my phone when I'm the driver.

We could hope that the ads wouldn't display when the app detects when it's driving, but then again, they're just evaluating the idea of using iAds.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
well shutting down distractions for when your going faster than 5 miles an hour is great if your constantly driving, but stop and go in traffic or sitting at stoplights aren't going to make it very useful.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
well shutting down distractions for when your going faster than 5 miles an hour is great if your constantly driving, but stop and go in traffic or sitting at stoplights aren't going to make it very useful.
It could have a time delay so you aren't considered idle unless it's been many minutes since you were moving at more than 5mph, as long as the car is still moving at all now and then.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I hate to break it to the developers of this app, but what they intend to do is most certainly not possible with any version of iPhone OS, including 4.0. No apps are allowed to control or have any effect on incoming or outgoing calls or txt messages.

milhouse994

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Vancouver, WA
What if you're a passenger in the car? On a bus..or a train?

I'm all for reducing driver distraction but this seems like it's a little flawed.

macrumors 6502
... or ppl can simply switch off or mute their phones. No need for yet another app to make things even more complicated. :rolleyes:

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Well this is a great idea except for everyone who rides as a passenger in a car, taxi, bus, train, subway, or plane.

Not everyone moving at > 5 MPH is a driver....

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Interesting. Just read about this app in my Costco Connection magazine. I doubt they will be able to block system-level calls and texts, however.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I doubt they will be able to block system-level calls and texts, however.

Pretty much none of the functionality that they describe is possible on the iPhone (even with OS 4). The only way they can "block" the things they claim to block is if they expect you to go through their own address book sort of app to make all of your calls/texts. There is no way for them to do anything with incoming calls or with the native iPhone dialing methods.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
We need those apps that enable the camera so the background of the app is just showing what's in front of you. Now that would cut down a lot of accidents...maybe :D

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill

The assumption there is that you always have a passenger when you're driving. What do you do when you have no passengers?

I leave the phone ringing when I'm driving. Whoever is calling will probably leave a message if it's important or I'll call the number back when I take a pee / smoke break.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Why do apps have to teach kids the dos and don'ts of driving. When did the "parents" stop "parenting" their kids. Oh wait, how silly of me, that is the school's job.

Interesting idea. But not quite. Next!

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
What if you're a passenger in the car? On a bus..or a train?

I'm all for reducing driver distraction but this seems like it's a little flawed.

Then you turn off the app when your not driving.

Still won't stop stupidity from happening though. Even when your sitting at a stop light you should be just as aware as when your driving.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The assumption there is that you always have a passenger when you're driving. What do you do when you have no passengers?
In that case I do without the phone, as in the prehistoric days of the 20th century. If I need to make a call, take a call, look something up, or get directions, I pull over and stop first. It's less convenient but like you I prefer safety.

BiggyG

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
Yeah, what's the phone gonna do when I'm sat on the train, tryiung to use tethering to access my laptop. This is the dumbest idea ever.

At the end of the day, driving whilst using a mobile phone is illegal (at least is is in the UK).

You use your phone - you break the law - you get caught - you get the fine and the points on your licence.

It's the same as speeding, but nobody wants a world where all cars are limited to 70mph.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
... or ppl can simply switch off or mute their phones. No need for yet another app to make things even more complicated. :rolleyes:

I always have my iPhone on -- in airplane mode. It's attached to a cradle and acts as my stereo. I agree with others: there's no need for an app when common sense works just fine. Unfortunately, there are lots of people with no common sense....

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
I don't understand how hands-free cell phones don't cause less of a distraction. For me, the most distracting part of taking a call while driving is getting the phone out of my pocket, and holding it to my ear while trying to drive with one hand. In my car, all I have to do when I get an incoming call is to press a button on my steering wheel and start talking. The actual conversation takes very little thought and leaves me able to concentrate on the road.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
The only way this would be possible is by jailbreaking your iPhone sorta like iBlacklist does. But I don't see this working anyway.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Seriously? Hands-free phones do not provide any safety benefit? That means that talking with a person sitting right next to you while driving is exactly as dangerous as talking on the phone with someone through a phone that doesn't require you to do anything but talk.

So having more than 1 seat in a car is as dangerous as having a phone then, since it allows chatty people to sit in the car with you and distract you? Come on!

I don't see why hands-free doesn't provide any safety benefit: the problem with using a phone wile driving is that you can't shift gears since your right hand is holding the phone, and your left hand is holding the steering wheel, and one hand isn't enough to steer a car if you don't have assisted steering. But if you put the phone down, you can shift gears and steer properly, and you have no more problems. I'm sure the human brain is intelligent enough to be able to talk and drive at the same time, that's not the problem folks.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Seriously? Hands-free phones do not provide any safety benefit? That means that talking with a person sitting right next to you while driving is exactly as dangerous as talking on the phone with someone through a phone that doesn't require you to do anything but talk.

Talking to people in the car is distracting, and, depending on the study, exactly as or less distracting than talking to someone on the (handsfree) phone. But handsfree and handheld mobiles are found to be pretty much exactly the same in driver impairment.

The Wikipedia article is well sourced if you want to do further reading.
Mobile phones and driving safety

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
This is how this works:

If you want to live, you pay attention while you drive.

If you'd rather die, and possibly kill others, than don't pay attention.

But we are free to choose as we see fit, and we don't need features or restrictions, or legislation, that forcibly change the way we drive.

For some hack developer to make the claims that a handsfree set does nothing to improve driving, is a desperate attempt at hoping he can sell his content that you don't need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.