Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
ozreth
macrumors 65816

Timbuk2 or Manhattan Portage?

Been looking to buy a new bag for when the MBP's refresh and have narrowed it down to these two brands, I love em both!

Anybody have experience with both of these bags? What do ya think?
ozreth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:33 AM   #2
spaceballl
macrumors 68030

Everyone and their brother has a timbuk2 bag now... i'd say get the other!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Relznuk
macrumors 6502

Manhattan. Reason: Sexy.
Relznuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:56 AM   #4
lcs101
macrumors member

I love my Timbuk2 bag. It is the best messenger bag I have ever owned.
lcs101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:51 PM   #5
ozreth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceballl View Post
True, but theres gotta be a reason for that ha. The Manhattan bags look way more casual, which is nice, but the timbuk2 bags seem to be so much more handy and have more puches etc for things.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:41 PM   #6
techound1
macrumors 68000

If you're big on actually finding all the crap you throw in a messenger bag, go with the timbuk2 commute.
techound1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:20 PM   #7
ozreth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
If you're big on actually finding all the crap you throw in a messenger bag, go with the timbuk2 commute.
It looks like the Manhattan Portage bag I would get has a good amount of pockets/sleeves as well. Hmm. I wish there was a store around that carried both so I could try them out in person.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:57 PM   #8
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceballl View Post
Oddly seems like the reason to go for the Timbuk2.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:02 AM   #9
mofunk
macrumors 68000

My vote is Timbuk2. The Napoleon pocket is sick. I have several Timbuk2 bags and with each one it took me a couple a months to notice the extra pockets.

From just looking at the Manhattan site, I'm betting Timbuk2 has more pockets. There are a lot of hidden pockets in the Timbuk2 bags.
mofunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:05 PM   #10
ozreth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
yeah thats my biggest concern right now. also it looks like most of the T2 pockets have zippers on them so things wont fall out. Big plus.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:04 PM   #11
johnnymike24
macrumors newbie

I have had a custom Timbuk2 Laptop messenger bag for a little over two years now and it is great, unless you have to carry a bunch of stuff with you.

I had been waiting for the past 6 months to get an updated MBP 13" but when it was released with a C2D I just couldn't justify buying the 13". So I decided to get the 15". I am student so I carry my laptop everywhere I go but honestly my Timbuk2 bag probably would not have even been comfortable for touting around a 13" MBP + the usual stuff I take with me to school. Like all messenger bags, it just doesn't evenly distribute the load on your back and shoulders. Given this, I just bought a Tom Bihn brain bag. I haven't received it yet but everything I have read about Tom Bihn bags, including comments on this forum, have been fantastic.

Bottom line, unless you are only going to only carry a 13" around with you all day (i.e. with no other additional heavy items) I wouldn't get a messenger bag. But I know what it is like to have your heart set on a messenger bag. Unfortunately only experience taught me that they are a bad idea if you have to carry a somewhat substantial amount of gear around with you for extended periods of time.

By the way, if you want I am selling my Timbuk2 given that I just bought a brain bag. I paid $160 for the Timbuk2. It is a custom laptop messenger bag in large with black-gun metal-black color panels. It is in great shape. Let me know if you are interested.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:33 PM   #12
ozreth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymike24 View Post
I have had a custom Timbuk2 Laptop messenger bag for a little over two years now and it is great, unless you have to carry a bunch of stuff with you.

I had been waiting for the past 6 months to get an updated MBP 13" but when it was released with a C2D I just couldn't justify buying the 13". So I decided to get the 15". I am student so I carry my laptop everywhere I go but honestly my Timbuk2 bag probably would not have even been comfortable for touting around a 13" MBP + the usual stuff I take with me to school. Like all messenger bags, it just doesn't evenly distribute the load on your back and shoulders. Given this, I just bought a Tom Bihn brain bag. I haven't received it yet but everything I have read about Tom Bihn bags, including comments on this forum, have been fantastic.

Bottom line, unless you are only going to only carry a 13" around with you all day (i.e. with no other additional heavy items) I wouldn't get a messenger bag. But I know what it is like to have your heart set on a messenger bag. Unfortunately only experience taught me that they are a bad idea if you have to carry a somewhat substantial amount of gear around with you for extended periods of time.

By the way, if you want I am selling my Timbuk2 given that I just bought a brain bag. I paid $160 for the Timbuk2. It is a custom laptop messenger bag in large with black-gun metal-black color panels. It is in great shape. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for the input! I feel what you are saying about messenger bags and weight, but I've been using them for around five years now and probably wouldn't opt for anything else. And I would probably buy yours but I need a medium. Thanks for the offer : )
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:46 PM   #13
pinksatin
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to pinksatin Send a message via Yahoo to pinksatin
Freitag is another cool option to think about... But expensive...
pinksatin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro