Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Been looking to buy a new bag for when the MBP's refresh and have narrowed it down to these two brands, I love em both!

Anybody have experience with both of these bags? What do ya think?

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Everyone and their brother has a timbuk2 bag now... i'd say get the other!

True, but theres gotta be a reason for that ha. The Manhattan bags look way more casual, which is nice, but the timbuk2 bags seem to be so much more handy and have more puches etc for things.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
If you're big on actually finding all the crap you throw in a messenger bag, go with the timbuk2 commute.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
If you're big on actually finding all the crap you throw in a messenger bag, go with the timbuk2 commute.

It looks like the Manhattan Portage bag I would get has a good amount of pockets/sleeves as well. Hmm. I wish there was a store around that carried both so I could try them out in person.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
My vote is Timbuk2. The Napoleon pocket is sick. I have several Timbuk2 bags and with each one it took me a couple a months to notice the extra pockets.

From just looking at the Manhattan site, I'm betting Timbuk2 has more pockets. There are a lot of hidden pockets in the Timbuk2 bags.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009

yeah thats my biggest concern right now. also it looks like most of the T2 pockets have zippers on them so things wont fall out. Big plus.

johnnymike24

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have had a custom Timbuk2 Laptop messenger bag for a little over two years now and it is great, unless you have to carry a bunch of stuff with you.

I had been waiting for the past 6 months to get an updated MBP 13" but when it was released with a C2D I just couldn't justify buying the 13". So I decided to get the 15". I am student so I carry my laptop everywhere I go but honestly my Timbuk2 bag probably would not have even been comfortable for touting around a 13" MBP + the usual stuff I take with me to school. Like all messenger bags, it just doesn't evenly distribute the load on your back and shoulders. Given this, I just bought a Tom Bihn brain bag. I haven't received it yet but everything I have read about Tom Bihn bags, including comments on this forum, have been fantastic.

Bottom line, unless you are only going to only carry a 13" around with you all day (i.e. with no other additional heavy items) I wouldn't get a messenger bag. But I know what it is like to have your heart set on a messenger bag. Unfortunately only experience taught me that they are a bad idea if you have to carry a somewhat substantial amount of gear around with you for extended periods of time.

By the way, if you want I am selling my Timbuk2 given that I just bought a brain bag. I paid $160 for the Timbuk2. It is a custom laptop messenger bag in large with black-gun metal-black color panels. It is in great shape. Let me know if you are interested.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I have had a custom Timbuk2 Laptop messenger bag for a little over two years now and it is great, unless you have to carry a bunch of stuff with you.

I had been waiting for the past 6 months to get an updated MBP 13" but when it was released with a C2D I just couldn't justify buying the 13". So I decided to get the 15". I am student so I carry my laptop everywhere I go but honestly my Timbuk2 bag probably would not have even been comfortable for touting around a 13" MBP + the usual stuff I take with me to school. Like all messenger bags, it just doesn't evenly distribute the load on your back and shoulders. Given this, I just bought a Tom Bihn brain bag. I haven't received it yet but everything I have read about Tom Bihn bags, including comments on this forum, have been fantastic.

Bottom line, unless you are only going to only carry a 13" around with you all day (i.e. with no other additional heavy items) I wouldn't get a messenger bag. But I know what it is like to have your heart set on a messenger bag. Unfortunately only experience taught me that they are a bad idea if you have to carry a somewhat substantial amount of gear around with you for extended periods of time.

By the way, if you want I am selling my Timbuk2 given that I just bought a brain bag. I paid $160 for the Timbuk2. It is a custom laptop messenger bag in large with black-gun metal-black color panels. It is in great shape. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the input! I feel what you are saying about messenger bags and weight, but I've been using them for around five years now and probably wouldn't opt for anything else. And I would probably buy yours but I need a medium. Thanks for the offer : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.