Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1
zirzird
macrumors newbie

Need ability to play multiple overlapping instances of sound files... ideas?

Hi!

I'm a recent convert to Mac. I have a specific audio need that is rather peculiar. I need the ability to open multiple overlapping audio files, mp3's and WAV files, with the ability to control volumes independently. For years, I've handled this task on a PC using "Media Player Classic" which opens each file in a separate instance of the application. I can terminate each file by closing its instance, and can adjust volume between each sound file to taste. It's crude, but it works.

(What I'm doing is creating mood music and SFX during elaborate storytelling sessions. Individual "scenes" might incorporate 10-15 separate SFX and score tracks at a time. I need to be able to fade between them, adjust volume on the fly, and launch new tracks at a whim.)

Any ideas how I can achieve the same result on a Mac? I'm perfectly open to finding an application that can run multiple sound files simultaneously from the same instance, as long as the output sound can overlap the files and I can control volumes independently from within the program. This is even preferable, if such a program exists, since I could conceivably make "setlists" of SFX and musical compositions for each scene in advance and access the whole array more quickly. With Media Player Classic, I have to load each file separately-- very tedious.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Thank you,
A very recent Mac convert who left behind 7 dysfunctional PCs in effigy, but could use a little kick-start to get going on Mac.
zirzird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2
jackerin
macrumors 6502a

Well, have you tried Quicktime Player? Opens many audio formats, each file in its own window, with volume setting for each window. Only thing I'm having problems with is the fade between tracks since you'd have to adjust the volume of two files at once...
jackerin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirzird View Post
Hi!

I'm a recent convert to Mac. I have a specific audio need that is rather peculiar. I need the ability to open multiple overlapping audio files, mp3's and WAV files, with the ability to control volumes independently....

I think Garage band might work for you. You can create a few audio tracks and then inport MP3 or WAV files into those tracks. It has volume automation which allows you to program a bunch of volume sliders. The user interface emulates a mixer pannel wit volume. pan and so on for each channel.

You can also buy a physical "control surface" if you like to use real sliders then you can place a finger on each track, with a mouse you can only adjust one volume at a time.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:57 AM   #4
JaZzMaN251
macrumors member

Ableton Live 8 would be a great program for you.
A bit expensive, but you can try it for 30 days (full).
It's perfect for what you're doing.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
mesq
macrumors member

Audacity - and it's free.
mesq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 10:52 PM   #6
jltnol
macrumors newbie

Q-Lab

you should check out Q-Lab

There is a free version and it will do exactly what you want. The interface is a 'tad complicated, but I've used the free version of the software in a professional theater production, and it worked flawlessly for every show.
jltnol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio