Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:30 AM   #1
nzmc36
macrumors member

Automatic graphics switching

Okay, so the new machines will switch between graphics chips... all very nice (at last), but my 15" MBP 2.8 doesn't and it's a real pain for me as I often go between apps than need the extra speed and then back to e.g. Word, and could really do with the extended battery life (I have the old style battery pack)

... any news if the older graphics systems can be worked to switch on the fly...i.e. without having to logout and shut down all the open apps, and work?

Cheers, P
nzmc36 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:32 AM   #2
spinnerlys

It won't work, as the now "older" system has to close the WindowServer process, thus a log out is required.

If you want that automatic switching, sell yours and buy a new one.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:37 AM   #3
nzmc36
macrumors member

Ugly but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
It won't work, as the now "older" system has to close the WindowServer process, thus a log out is required.

If you want that automatic switching, sell yours and buy a new one.
Dang.... such a pain . I got used to the switching in the G4's and didn't think they would 'about-face' with the idea when I brought this one. Nice it's back tho'. I won't be selling this one unfortunately as it's part of my job.... so I'm stuck with it for awhile.... unless I can palm it off on on of my students (I'm sure they won't complain)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Relznuk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmc36 View Post
Okay, so the new machines will switch between graphics chips... all very nice (at last), but my 15" MBP 2.8 doesn't and it's a real pain for me as I often go between apps than need the extra speed and then back to e.g. Word, and could really do with the extended battery life (I have the old style battery pack)

... any news if the older graphics systems can be worked to switch on the fly...i.e. without having to logout and shut down all the open apps, and work?

Cheers, P
Is it in fact confirmed that the new machines will do fast-switching?
Relznuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5
nzmc36
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznuk View Post
Is it in fact confirmed that the new machines will do fast-switching?
From the Apple web page under the graphics details

"On-demand performance.
Off-the-charts efficiency.
The 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models come standard with automatic graphics switching. Itís a breakthrough technology from Apple that switches graphics processors on the fly to give you performance when you need it (when youíre playing the latest 3D game, for example) and better battery efficiency when you donít (such as when youíre reading email). MacBook Pro transfers the workload between the powerful discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor and integrated Intel HD Graphics so seamlessly, you wonít even notice. Whether youíre using applications like Aperture, Motion, or Final Cut Pro or just surfing the web, your MacBook Pro always knows which processor to use. You donít have to log out, shut down, or change your preferences. Automatic graphics switching does it all for you."

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro