Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I'm going to channel Scottsdale...

As a brand-new owner of a 2.13 GHz MBA, I have to say that the MBA is already a great machine. The only thing it's missing IMHO is 4GB of RAM, and that's only a serious limitation if you're planning to virtualize Windows, in which case you're probably a better candidate for a MacBook Pro.

For everyday computing, the MacBook Air is a very fast machine. The only area where it doesn't compete with my 8-core Mac Pro is compute-intensive tasks. And that's why I have the Mac Pro.

If you're a power user and you want one machine to do it all, the MacBook Air is not the right tool for you. In all other cases, the MacBook Air is already a great machine.

My $0.02.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I'm going to channel Scottsdale...

As a brand-new owner of a 2.13 GHz MBA, I have to say that the MBA is already a great machine. The only thing it's missing IMHO is 4GB of RAM, and that's only a serious limitation if you're planning to virtualize Windows, in which case you're probably a better candidate for a MacBook Pro.

For everyday computing, the MacBook Air is a very fast machine. The only area where it doesn't compete with my 8-core Mac Pro is compute-intensive tasks. And that's why I have the Mac Pro.

If you're a power user and you want one machine to do it all, the MacBook Air is not the right tool for you. In all other cases, the MacBook Air is already a great machine.

My $0.02.

This is what I am contemplating -- I own one of the *original* Rev A 80GB HDD models. Yup, a 1.6GHz + 4200RPM HD version. Has traveled with me all over the world and I use it for 4-5 hours daily. It's starting to feel a bit slow and yes, those fans are on constantly.

Bottom line is that I can wait a little longer, but if I knew that the MBA was this year's version of the AppleTV or EOL, I would just buy the fastest Rev C with an SSD and go on with my life. Just can't bring myself to replace it with a 13" MBP.

Just wish I *knew*.

JT

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
It hasn't received attention in almost a year, it's out of date and overpriced.

Funny thing. The Mac Pro hasn't received attention in over a year, it's out of date and overpriced.

I happen to have one of each. I'll leave my Mac Pro thoughts in the Mac Pro forum. But, the only thing I'm really missing on my current MBA is more memory. And maybe one of them new-fangled glass trackpads every other laptop seems to have....

I'd say, hit up the Macbook Air feedback page on Apple's site and give them a piece of your mind. I do it about the Mac Pro often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.