Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

161123-mbp_digital_video_output.png

Ars Technica reports that Apple's new MacBook Pro models released today now support transmission of both audio and video via a single Mini DisplayPort output. The news comes following speculation that Apple might be preparing to release a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter of its own after a reference to such an adapter appeared in the tech specs for the new MacBook Pro. According to the latest report, however, Apple has denied that it is planning its own adapter, meaning that users will need to rely upon third-party solutions.
Apple confirmed to Ars that the just-updated MacBook Pros will pass both video and audio signals to an HDTV or receiver when using an miniDP to HDMI adapter. Apple sells one such adapter from Griffin online, though alternative from suppliers such as Monoprice are also available. Apple doesn't have any plans at this time to make its own adapter, contrary to earlier speculation.
Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters have been around for over a year now, and many MacBook Pro users have used them to connect their notebooks to external displays or televisions. Those users wishing to route audio to the external devices have been required to use a separate cable connected to the computer's audio line out minijack.

HDMI, a popular connector standard for home theater applications, has been rumored to be included on the next-generation Mac mini. That report also indicated that Apple had developed its own Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter that could handle both audio and video, but today's statement from Apple suggests that the company has no plans, or doesn't wish to reveal plans, to release such a device.

Article Link: Apple Updates MacBook Pro Mini DisplayPort Implementation to Support Both Audio and Video

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's great news.

But let the b1tching begin (from those people without the latest MBP)! Perhaps someone can hack the software?

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Cause HDMI won't support the larger resolution over 1080 like mini displayport can.

edit: Also, you don't have to buy an adapter. Just buy the display port to hdmi cable from monoprice. It's cheaper than buying the adapter plus an hdmi cable.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm curious if this is a software update or a hardware update. Would make my 2009 Mac mini with displayport a lot happier if it's software...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is a strange move from Apple: I would have thought they will replace the Mini DisplayPort with some new display port before any kind of device becomes compatible with it! Now who would want to be able to connect their MacBook to anything without a bulky and very-very expensive adapter?

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Too bad I could never get handbrake to rip DVD's properly. I would love to get me a mac-mini server to hook up in my living room or office. then I could just flip through all my videos, DVD movies, etc via remote instead of looking for the DVD of the movie I wanted to watch. not to mention stream Hulu, Joost, Crackle, and all the TV stations from the internet to my TV.

I am not one for reality shows, cable and satellite prices are rediculous; so on-demand TV is where is at at for me.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Gr8 news.
If all the future Macs get this (is quite probable!) this makes AV life so much easier!
Imaging a Core i7 Mac mini with this.... use Plex and hook it up via one cable to HDMI.. :)

strang

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Does anyone know if the mini DisplayPort on the new MacBook Pros are 2-way capable like the 27" iMacs?

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
Does anyone know if the mini DisplayPort on the new MacBook Pros are 2-way capable like the 27" iMacs?

Doesn't look like it. If you look at the tech specs on the apple site, the iMac specs say "27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately)." There's nothing of that sort listed for the MBPs.

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
I'm curious if this is a software update or a hardware update. Would make my 2009 Mac mini with displayport a lot happier if it's software...

Knowing Apple, it doesn't matter. Even if its a software update, Apple will insist that hardware isn't capable, not offer it.

Bleubird2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Now you gripers can shut up about getting HDMI ports. I realize you still have to have an adaptor, but how much space would that take up anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.