Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Slarsenr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Problem with the bottom of my MacBook

Hey guys..
Ive had this MacBook since december, and this appeared a few days ago..


its air bubbles between the "cover" and the metal..
I tried to screw it off the computer, but I dont want to risk anything by fixing it myself.

Has anyone tried this? Should I contact Apple?
Slarsenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:49 PM   #2
iphone1105
macrumors 68000
 
iphone1105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Wait, so while the bottom piece was still on it bubbled and warped like that? Weird, I've never seen this. I've seen the swollen battery on old units but nothing on these units. I have this exact model as well, I haven't seen any bubbling.

Did you ever spill anything, keep it in a humid environment? Maybe go to the apple store.....
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Slarsenr
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Nope nothing. I keep it as safe as possible. I bought that incase cover for it just as I got the computer..
Theres no apple store near me, but im giving them a call tomorrow..

And yeah, when its on its bubbled like that.. Annoying as ****
When I write its like bump, bump, bump because its not balanced..
Slarsenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Slarsenr
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Contacted Apple. Theyre looking into it, and I might need to send it away to them..

The Apple support guy said he never saw anything like this in his life.. He also said they might say I caused this myself.. If theyre going to claim I did this myself im going nuts..
Slarsenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 01:35 PM   #5
MacProblem
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarsenr View Post
Contacted Apple. Theyre looking into it, and I might need to send it away to them..

The Apple support guy said he never saw anything like this in his life.. He also said they might say I caused this myself.. If theyre going to claim I did this myself im going nuts..
I've got the same problem! Mine are appearing on the side of the Mac. I've got the new white MacBook, the same as yours by the looks of it. Bought it in May. And it turned like that a couple weeks ago! Gonna go into the store soon to check it out. What happened to yours in the end? Did they help?
MacProblem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 05:10 PM   #6
benjimoodie
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find the reason for this?
Im just sitting here at home with my laptop on my lap, lift it up and theres a massive freakin' bubble on the bottom!!
benjimoodie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 05:17 PM   #7
sean800
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Hey, I have the same problem. Anyone know if the apple store will fix this?
sean800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Fast/Furious
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Apparently, it's quite common. Rubber (or maybe it's silicone?) reacts to heat differently than the plastic and aluminum on the MacBook so from an engineer's perspective it's quite easy to see why this would happen.... why Apple designed it like this is beyond me.

Just take it to an Apple Store and speak to one of the Geniuses. Explain to them very clearly what happened and that you weren't doing anything out of the ordinary. If it's within warranty they should either fix it or issue a replacement
__________________
Samsung Galaxy S3
8GB iPod Nano (Graphite)
iPad 2 32GB Wifi + 3G
Early '11 MBP 15" 2.0 i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD + 128GB SSD
Fast/Furious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:47 PM   #9
sean800
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanks, yeah hopefully they will. I'm going to take it to the apple store in a few days.
sean800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Applepi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: East Valley
I had this happen to me about a month ago. I finally went into the Apple store last weekend and I managed to get them to replace it for free since it's still under warranty. I had to fight them for it and convince them it wasn't my doing though. Good luck.
Applepi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Licious
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa
This also happened to me, and when I took it in they tried to tell me it was my doing as well. I was told I was being given a "one time courtesy replacement" because I have Applecare, but any future problems would cost me 114$.
The genius was trying to tell me I caused by leaving it out in the hot sun, because heat can cause it. Of course, I got the bubbling and peeling in the area that gets the hottest on the bottom of my macbook. Hopefully Apple will recognize this as a problem, because I have seen these threads popping up more and more lately.
Licious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:25 PM   #12
sky10111
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Cool Yes!

Finally other people with the same problem as me. Mine started out rather small, near the edge of the bottom, but slowly grew. It's become worrisome lately, and I was planning on taking it in, but by the sounds of it, they're in denial that it's a recurring problem.
sky10111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:39 PM   #13
Applepi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: East Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky10111 View Post
Finally other people with the same problem as me. Mine started out rather small, near the edge of the bottom, but slowly grew. It's become worrisome lately, and I was planning on taking it in, but by the sounds of it, they're in denial that it's a recurring problem.
I thought so too but give it a shot, worst case is they'll say pay up.
Applepi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:35 AM   #14
sean800
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Hi, I saw some other people with the same problem posted and just wanted to say that I just went to the apple store, I showed the guy and he said "Hmmmmm, I've never seen this before." Then he called another genius over and asked him and he said he's seen it a couple of times. They ordered me a new bottom part and it's coming in on tuesday, they never tried to tell me it was my fault or anything so I guess i'm lucky.
sean800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 04:58 PM   #15
TrishD
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I had this happen to my MacBook a few months ago. I took it to the apple store, they put a new bottom piece on, and it was covered under the warranty. Today, it happened again, only this time instead of a bubble, the whole right side of the bottom piece has peeled away leaving a gap. I'm taking it to the genius bar on Sunday, but I suspect there's something else wrong to make it do this twice.

Also, I have done nothing out of the ordinary, especially since the first replacement. I bought the incase. I've never, ever dropped it. And don't leave it lying around.
TrishD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:28 PM   #16
macmanjim
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Send a message via AIM to macmanjim Send a message via MSN to macmanjim Send a message via Yahoo to macmanjim
I have the same issue. I haven't taken it to the Apple store yet or a service provider, but I will now. it must be a known problem by now. I think it is related to heat.
macmanjim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:14 PM   #17
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Took really good care of mine. And mine is also peeling on the ports side

edit: Sent for repairs looks like it will be for free
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)

Last edited by blackburn; Nov 17, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
blackburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 08:33 PM   #18
fritzzz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
I have had the same problem and Apple fixed it. This about1 year ago, now it has don't the same thing again.
I intend to see them again although this computer is now 2 years old, so we will see and for me it will be Macbook pro which has a different case.
fritzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:50 PM   #19
paulwaddilove
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzzz View Post
I have had the same problem and Apple fixed it. This about1 year ago, now it has don't the same thing again.
I intend to see them again although this computer is now 2 years old, so we will see and for me it will be Macbook pro which has a different case.
I had exactly the same problem, my MacBook bubbled & went hot & very slow approx 6mths after I bought it. I took my MacBook back to PC World, Poole, but they just said they only sell them, if I want it fixed I have to go to an Apple Store or authorised repairer! I found a repairer in Christchurch & took my M/B there. It was then away at their London Branch being repaired for weeks. When I did get it back all they had done was replace the backing plate. My M/B is still slow & approx 2mths ago it did exactly the same again - bubbled the bottom casing. I have now contacted Apple & they are sending me 'FREE OF CHARGE' a replacement bottom casing. But as I said this does not sort out what sent the machine so hot in the 1st place & the fact that it is now soooooo slow. Where do I go from here, I live miles away [2hrs from my nearest Apple Store] Have I go to take it to them? Surely this is 'Sale of Goods Act' faulty product & as such Apple should replace it 'FREE OF CHARGE'? ANYONE FROM APPLE ON THIS FORUM LIKE TO COMMENT?
paulwaddilove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:44 AM   #20
himanshupant
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: India
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwaddilove View Post
I had exactly the same problem, my MacBook bubbled & went hot & very slow approx 6mths after I bought it. I took my MacBook back to PC World, Poole, but they just said they only sell them, if I want it fixed I have to go to an Apple Store or authorised repairer! I found a repairer in Christchurch & took my M/B there. It was then away at their London Branch being repaired for weeks. When I did get it back all they had done was replace the backing plate. My M/B is still slow & approx 2mths ago it did exactly the same again - bubbled the bottom casing. I have now contacted Apple & they are sending me 'FREE OF CHARGE' a replacement bottom casing. But as I said this does not sort out what sent the machine so hot in the 1st place & the fact that it is now soooooo slow. Where do I go from here, I live miles away [2hrs from my nearest Apple Store] Have I go to take it to them? Surely this is 'Sale of Goods Act' faulty product & as such Apple should replace it 'FREE OF CHARGE'? ANYONE FROM APPLE ON THIS FORUM LIKE TO COMMENT?
Can this cause any damage to the macbook ? I mean to say if we leave it like this could it cause any internal circuitry problem ?
himanshupant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 02:33 PM   #21
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000
 
brdeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshupant View Post
Can this cause any damage to the macbook ? I mean to say if we leave it like this could it cause any internal circuitry problem ?
Apple replaces the bottom cover for free. I did this last year for my late-2009 Macbook and since then, no problems.
__________________
15" rMBP Early-2013, 2.4GHz. After 3 display replacements, I'm still seeing uniformity problems.
2009 Unibody White MacBook, 250GB 840 EVO SSD, 8GB
Mid-2010 MacMini, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, 16GB
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:32 PM   #22
himanshupant
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: India
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post
Apple replaces the bottom cover for free. I did this last year for my late-2009 Macbook and since then, no problems.
I purchased the laptop on Jan 2010 so not sure if it would be still covered under warranty
himanshupant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:50 AM   #23
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000
 
brdeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshupant View Post
I purchased the laptop on Jan 2010 so not sure if it would be still covered under warranty
I saw a guy exchanging his Macbook bottom cover this year. My Macbook is the late-2009 unibody one and I got it repaired in 2013... I guess there are good chances that you'll get it replaced for free.
__________________
15" rMBP Early-2013, 2.4GHz. After 3 display replacements, I'm still seeing uniformity problems.
2009 Unibody White MacBook, 250GB 840 EVO SSD, 8GB
Mid-2010 MacMini, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, 16GB
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook only working if bottom slapped... alokm MacBook 7 Apr 1, 2014 05:14 AM
America: Bottom of the barrel? Race to the bottom? Cheap? Crap? G51989 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 76 Mar 29, 2014 11:37 AM
Is it safe to remove bottom of the MacBook Pro? speakforme MacBook Pro 7 Jul 12, 2013 12:22 AM
2010 Macbook Pro Bottom Replacement? ranviper MacBook Pro 4 Aug 12, 2012 10:20 PM
MacBook 2009, bottom panel swelling randystand MacBook 3 Jul 9, 2012 02:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC