Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Just got my first ATV last week and have been getting familiar with it over the last few days. An amazing device and well worth the cost, IMHO.

Anyway, having done my due diligence prior to purchasing my ATV, I know that by the use of patchsticks and other means the ATV can be hacked or modified to recognize external and NAS drives. In my case I would like to access my NAS, as it is on the same network and substantially larger than my ATV's internal 40G drive. My iTunes library is also stored on the NAS, further driving my desire to be able to access it from my ATV.

Here is my question:

If I hack my ATV to allow it to recognize external/network drive(s), will I retain the functionality of iTunes, that is, will I still be able to use the ATV to purchase media from the iTunes Store?

If I do this, does the external/network drive simply appear in the menu as another choice?

Apologies in advance if this has been addressed elsewhere, but in my searches of the forum I haven't found direct answers to my questions.

TIA,

MacDann

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.