Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:21 AM   #1
vini-vidi-vici
macrumors 6502

How to set up new mailboxes? (Aka folders?)

How can I create new folders (called "mailboxes" in the email app) to file my emails on the iPad? I get the default sent, drafts, spam, etc folders... But no way to create new ones.

I have a couple email accounts. One is a personal email hosted by my isp, that's set up as imap. The other is a yahoo email account, for which I don't even have an imap/pop option when it was set up.

I've searched the net for advice on this, and this appears to be a common problem, but the questions always go misunderstood or unanswered. Thanks in advance.
vini-vidi-vici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:55 AM   #2
wingnut8
macrumors 65816

You need to create the folders on the server for your mail service. For me, I go to Yahoo's webmail and just create a new folder there and it will show up on my iPad.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:58 AM   #3
vini-vidi-vici
macrumors 6502

That's the only way? I'm trying to set up my 85 year old mother in law with an iPad... It'll be her only real computer... Big step up from webtv. She does like to file emails though - its something she's asked about a couple times (that, and being able to save pictures from emails, which I think is no problem). I don't think she'll be able to handle navigating the yahoo email tool. Anyway, I can set up some folders for her, but this could be a real problem if she wants to create more folders.

Any idea if this is a technical limitation of the way the iPad mail tool works? Or is this apple getting all "simple" and leaving things out?
vini-vidi-vici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:05 PM   #4
GreatOwl
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to GreatOwl Send a message via Yahoo to GreatOwl
IPad Folders

This so ridiculous. Apple calls the problem one of using an outdated POP account system especially by some cable companies, yet they accommodate it with every other computer they make. The IPad needs to use IMap.

I have several computers so the work around is fairly simple, but so stupid. I do not store many e-mails on my IPad, but some I do like to keep for reference when away from home. I do not like searching through hundreds of e-mails for what I want. I guess I am just a bit OC.

I have created a simple work around that will store my essentials in named folders, but to have to forward those to myself at a dummy account is beyond comprehension when they just as easily could allow us to create one account and the ability to create folders.
GreatOwl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:50 PM   #5
jellybean
macrumors regular

An iPhone app which also runs perfectly fine on the iPad called FolderBuddy will allow you to do exactly what you're asking, easily create and edit folders on the IMAP or POP servers and then use them in the iPad's mail app
jellybean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:11 AM   #6
GreatOwl
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to GreatOwl Send a message via Yahoo to GreatOwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
An iPhone app which also runs perfectly fine on the iPad called FolderBuddy will allow you to do exactly what you're asking, easily create and edit folders on the IMAP or POP servers and then use them in the iPad's mail app

Thanks for the tip, however in reading the description it specifically states that it only supports IMAP and not POP. I downloaded the lite version to see if I could find a way around it and there is not. Hopefully, someone will develop a app that works with POP. I doubt that Road Runner is going to change its protocol.
GreatOwl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad