Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsdq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
The hard drive died on the imac I sync with my apple tv and now my non synced content on my atv is in limbo

How can I save or sync the content on the apple tv?

I have replaced the hard drive and a fresh OS on the imac...

but I can't get it to sync with atv - atv will only recognize it as a computer to stream

Surely someone most of purchased a new computer and ran into this problem.

if i did not care about the content on the atv I'm sure a factory reset would clear the atv and get it sync to the new computer

anyone??

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Do you have a backup of your media that you can restore on your new hard drive? The Apple TV is not a replacement for a backup of your media.

The general procedure should be to restore your iTunes backup on your new drive and then resync your Apple TV.

If you don't have a backup of your media and some of it only exists on your Apple TV, there is no official way to get it back.

Utilities exist to do this from an iPod, but I don't know if they would work from an Apple TV...

rsdq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
'Thanks for the reply.

This was a mistake of not staying on top of syncing content. My fault as I understand how the atv works

I did a lot of searching and could find no answers - I found another person who had the same problem when their home computer was stolen leaving them with a bunch of content on their atv that was not synced.

Still could not find a solution.

anybody?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I think if you remove the drive from the Apple TV then you can copy the content back to another drive/Mac. This, however, should only be done as a last resort since it will probably void the warranty on the Apple TV (assuming that it is still under its one year warranty). In fact, there may be other, easier ways and thus I'd say that you should only remove the drive after you have exhausted all other options.

Here is a link that shows a good way to remove the drive from an Apple TV (it's actually an article on replacing the drive, but you can just follow the steps to remove the existing drive and then put that same drive back in again):

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/AppleTV_HD_Upgrade/AppleTV_HD_UpgradeGuide.htm

In fact, you may want to look through the posts on xlr8yourmac's Apple TV forum to see if there is an easier way to get the content off of your unit. Here is a link to the Apple TV forums on that site:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/apple_tv_user_reports.html

rsdq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Hi

I really appreciate the responses.

I think I might skip the removing of the hard drive - I've done this before - but probably don't want to mess with it.

My guess is I've got a couple of hundred dollars of paid content on the atv - I might just be screwed

I'm going to call apple and see what they say.

Two thoughts:

I don't think people who have atv are into "pirating" content so this should be very simple to do. There is no reason this should be a hassle if you have a drive or a computer failure.

I hope somebody learns from my mistake and syncs all their content today

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I think I might skip the removing of the hard drive - I've done this before - but probably don't want to mess with it.

My guess is I've got a couple of hundred dollars of paid content on the atv - I might just be screwed

I'm going to call apple and see what they say.

I would second the recommendation to call Apple. I have read stories here about people who were able to re-download their content. If most of it came from the iTunes store that is definitely the way to go.

If that fails, then why not take the drive out and try it that way? Especially if you have had the drive out before? Get one of those cables where you can access almost any drive with a USB cable, and then you should be able to poke around and find your files.

They probably have weird names, like they do on the iPod, but I would think you would be able to get them back.

Good luck!

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
...I think I might skip the removing of the hard drive - I've done this before - but probably don't want to mess with it.
The procedure on the link I provided shows a method where you don't have to remove the rubber covering on the bottom of the Apple TV and after you make the modification shown in that link you can open the Apple TV as often as you like in only about one minute. Of course, the original modification takes some time (you need to cut some small holes in the rubber covering) but I've actually done that modification and it's pretty nice to have access to the Apple TV's hard drive whenever you want (I did a drive upgrade on my).
I hope somebody learns from my mistake and syncs all their content today
I'm not certain what you mean by "sync," but I suspect you meant a backup of the iTunes library that is on your Mac/PC.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
For a few hundred bucks of content, I'd crack it open. I replaced the HD on one of my AppleTV's. It was not too difficult to take out the old drive and put the new one it. I had trouble with putting the OS on the new drive and expanding the partitions, but you do not need to do that.

However, you would also need a bridge to allow you to connect the bare drive to your mac -- about $20.00.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'm sure it would be easier to use the free patch stick creator to enable SSH access on your ATV then just SSH into it from your Mac/PC and copy the files over that way. Saves having to open your ATV.

DWGie

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
Curious if any progress was made on getting data off of the ATV. I had a weird situation this weekend where my hard-drive failed when I was reloading my iphone profile onto a new iphone. My music and pics are now only on ATV and I need to get them off.

Someone mentioned talking to Apple. Are you suggesting talking to a Genius at a store or something different. Think I'll try and set an appointment for this upcoming week.

Thanks!

eddieblock

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
same here. new hdd and rather than puting in lots of dvd,s would be easier if i could just sync from the apple tv. hope there is a way to do it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.